Midnight commander settings

Post by Alek » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 01:26:29

Hi all,

I'm tied trying to save my settings in mc, running in xterm... I have
RH7.1 and mc 4.5.51
If I modify the look of the panels(I want brief mode) and save it, next
time I logged in it restores its default values.
This is the same for all users.

How can I force it use my setting? Is any global file, where I can set
setting for all users?

Thanks,
Aleks

Midnight commander settings

Post by Garry Knigh » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 00:50:21

Quote:> I'm tied trying to save my settings in mc,

Hmmm... too much trying?

Quote:> running in xterm... I have RH7.1 and mc 4.5.51
> If I modify the look of the panels(I want brief mode) and save it,
> next time I logged in it restores its default values. This is the same
> for all users.

> How can I force it use my setting?

Is the ~/.mc directory owned by you, and with drwxr-xr-x perms? And
is ~/.mc/ini owned by you with -rw-r--r-- perms?

Does ~/.mc/ini contain list_mode=brief under the [New Right Panel] and
[New Left Panel] headings?

Quote:> Is any global file, where I can set setting for all users?

You could try putting the following in /etc/mc.global (create the file
if you haven't got it):

[New Left Panel]
list_mode=brief

[New Rightt Panel]
list_mode=brief

--
Garry Knight

Linux registered user 182025

Midnight commander settings

Post by Alek » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 21:40:43

I have:
775 for .mc
644 for .mc/ini

[New Left Panel]
list_mode=brief

And after log-out, log-in I have full again...

[New Left Panel]
list_mode=full

I added this changes to mc.global - still the same story. I deleted my
.mc directory and started mc again - none of setting from mc.global was
taken...

Anyone has any idea what I should check?

/Aleks

Quote:> Is the ~/.mc directory owned by you, and with drwxr-xr-x perms? And