Soundcards and CD-Roms

Post by James CE Johns » Sat, 13 Aug 1994 07:20:04

Hello World :)

I'm out to buy a SoundCard of some flavor and a CD-ROM.  Since I don't
know squat about either, I was hoping you folks could help me out.

I've read enough to narrow it to either the Gravis UltraSound or
one of the many SoundBlasters.  Anybody got any opinions?  I've heard
that the Gravis has local memory to prevent "choppy" sound on a busy
system.  Does it have a CD interface?

What is the difference between all of the SB models?  SB16, SB16 MCD
(multi-CD), SB16 ASP/MCD ...
From another post, it seems best not to get the SB-SCSI.  Or was that
just intended for VLB systems?  I'm on an ISA bus with IDE drives now,
someday I'll have VLB and SCSI...  My guess is that it is better money
spent to wait for the VLB before going SCSI...

Is it possible to get *just* the Sound/CD card and CD-ROM without all
of the other *that comes in the "kits"?  Or are the kits actually
cheaper?

Finally, if anybody has a favorite ordering/purchasing place, I'd
appreciate that too.  Even just some "I paid $$ for XX" would help!

Thanks in advance,

Woodstock, GA           NSS 35257

Everything I know I learned from 'man' pages.

--

1. SoundCards/CD-Roms/Linux

Does anyone out there know or use the following sound card and CD-Rom combo's
with Linux? I currently have a Longshine AT-Bus Interface Card and InfoMagic's
June 1994 Linux disks but I can't get Linux to notice the CD-Rom.

I am going to upgrade to a 16 bit sound card, the SoundBlaster 16 card is
pricey and has bugger all accessories, whereas the other two have better
packages. These packages will be worth shit, if the cards are not supported by
Linux.

The cd-rom drive is a Panasonic 562 CD-Rom drive

The cards are :
                Audiowave Green 16 (Sound Card) by Multiwave Innovations
                LaserWave Nucleus 16 (Sound Card) by ACS Computers

Both the above sound cards are SB compatible but they both have software
controlled volume settings, Does the SB pro & 16 have this feature?

Any advise will be gratefully accepted.

--
Darren Treloar, 3:632/516 FidoNet        |                    _**_

Where There's Smoke There's FIRE! BBS    |       /-----------| cfa |<
+61 3 799 2168 (V.32bis)                 | ..... +--(0)--------(0)-+

2. some certification questions

3. Question: Support SIIG SoundCard EIDE/TAPI CD-ROM

4. PArtitioning

5. SOUNDBLASTER 4X CD-ROM WORKS GREAT, BUT SOUNDCARD...NOT GREAT

6. Window Managers

7. Soundcard play *.au and *.wav files, but not from CD rom

8. Redhat6.0: can't boot in after recompiling the kernel

9. Opti Soundcards and ATAPI CD-ROM

10. Linux + Soundcard (GUS?) + CD rom?

11. reveal cd rom and soundcard

12. Soundcard for SOny CDU 55E (IDE ATAPI) CD-ROM

13. Toshiba XM5302 CD-Rom: Can't read at Setup: Opti Mad SoundCard