WEIRD can't login problem

Post by Ji » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:43:00

Something weird is happening hear... When I boot my redhat linux box,
it starts everything up and comes to a login prompt.  I type in "root"
and hit enter.  Instead of asking for a password, it goes right back
to the login prompt.  Anybody have any ideas what could be going on???
This system has been working fine for months.

WEIRD can't login problem

Post by mjt » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:51:02

Quote:> Something weird is happening hear... When I boot my redhat linux box,
> it starts everything up and comes to a login prompt.  I type in "root"
> and hit enter.  Instead of asking for a password, it goes right back
> to the login prompt.  Anybody have any ideas what could be going on???
> This system has been working fine for months.

...that's easy, you're not supposed to log in as root !!!! you should
be loggin in as a regular user and 'su-ing' or 'sudo-ing' your root
oriented stuff.

on another note, at what runlevel are you at?

 Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer,   #     Black holes result
 skydiver, and author: "Inside Linux",      #    when God divides the
 "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed"               #      universe by zero

WEIRD can't login problem

Post by Jim McKinstr » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:01:22

"that's easy, you're not supposed to log in as root !"
Um, no.  I'm on the console. There is no restriction for root login on the
console.  It has always worked in the past. No other accounts can login
either.  Don't know the run level because I can't login to look.  When I
boot into single user mode, I can "su" to different accounts.

Post by Travis Case » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:31:14

> "that's easy, you're not supposed to log in as root !"
> Um, no.  I'm on the console. There is no restriction for root login on the
> console.  It has always worked in the past. No other accounts can login
> either.  Don't know the run level because I can't login to look.  When I
> boot into single user mode, I can "su" to different accounts.

The first thing that springs to mind is that your password file or shadow
file has become corrupted.  In any case, your next option is either to boot
up in single-user mode (if you don't have the system set up to require a
password for that mode) or to boot with a rescue disk.  Once you've got the
system up and can look around, then you can start investigating what's
wrong.

--

       /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_   No one agrees with me.  Not even me.
      |,4-  ) )-,_..;\ (  `'-'
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)

WEIRD can't login problem

Post by mjt » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:39:06

> "that's easy, you're not supposed to log in as root !"
> Um, no.  I'm on the console. There is no restriction for root login on the
> console.  It has always worked in the past. No other accounts can login
> either.  Don't know the run level because I can't login to look.  When I
> boot into single user mode, I can "su" to different accounts.

> > > Something weird is happening hear... When I boot my redhat linux box,
> > > it starts everything up and comes to a login prompt.  I type in "root"
> > > and hit enter.  Instead of asking for a password, it goes right back
> > > to the login prompt.  Anybody have any ideas what could be going on???
> > > This system has been working fine for months.

> > ...that's easy, you're not supposed to log in as root !!!! you should
> > be loggin in as a regular user and 'su-ing' or 'sudo-ing' your root
> > oriented stuff.

> > on another note, at what runlevel are you at?

please stop top-posting ...

... then you dont understand what i'm referring to. i'm not saying
that you CANT login as root mechanically ... i'm talking more at
the logical level. for security reasons and system safety reasons,
you should NEVER log in as root. sure, you CAN, but you SHOULD NOT
be. and what do you mean, "i can log in as root because i'm at the
console". doesnt matter whether you're at runlevel 3 or 5 for a
login, you shouldnt be doing it.

anyway, i'd get in at runlevel 1 and poke around and see what is
up (or use your recovery floppy (you did create one, right?) or
use CD1 in recovery mode)

WEIRD can't login problem

Post by jrm » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 21:50:45

revealed:

> > "that's easy, you're not supposed to log in as root !"
> > Um, no.  I'm on the console. There is no restriction for root login on
the
> > console.  It has always worked in the past. No other accounts can login
> > either.  Don't know the run level because I can't login to look.  When I
> > boot into single user mode, I can "su" to different accounts.

> > > ...that's easy, you're not supposed to log in as root !!!! you should
> > > be loggin in as a regular user and 'su-ing' or 'sudo-ing' your root
> > > oriented stuff.

> > > on another note, at what runlevel are you at?

> please stop top-posting ...

> ... then you dont understand what i'm referring to. i'm not saying
> that you CANT login as root mechanically ... i'm talking more at
> the logical level. for security reasons and system safety reasons,
> you should NEVER log in as root. sure, you CAN, but you SHOULD NOT
> be. and what do you mean, "i can log in as root because i'm at the
> console". doesnt matter whether you're at runlevel 3 or 5 for a
> login, you shouldnt be doing it.

> anyway, i'd get in at runlevel 1 and poke around and see what is
> up (or use your recovery floppy (you did create one, right?) or
> use CD1 in recovery mode)

> --
>  Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer,  #    Black holes result
>  skydiver, and author: "Inside Linux",     #   when God divides the
>  "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed"              #     universe by zero

"then you dont understand what i'm referring to"
I knew EXACTLY what you were refering to.  I didn't ask for a leason inUNIX
Admin theory, I asked for help with a real problem.  I've been an UNIX admin
for over 10 years and have never seen this problem before.

WEIRD can't login problem

Post by mjt » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 01:22:07

Quote:> "then you dont understand what i'm referring to"
> I knew EXACTLY what you were refering to.  I didn't ask for a leason inUNIX
> Admin theory, I asked for help with a real problem.  I've been an UNIX admin
> for over 10 years and have never seen this problem before.

... hmmmmm. so you've been a "unix system admin for 10 years" and
you dont know how to get around this? this is a very basic procedure
well-known among sysadmins :)

WEIRD can't login problem

Post by Ji » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 04:08:52

> > "that's easy, you're not supposed to log in as root !"
> > Um, no.  I'm on the console. There is no restriction for root login on the
> > console.  It has always worked in the past. No other accounts can login
> > either.  Don't know the run level because I can't login to look.  When I
> > boot into single user mode, I can "su" to different accounts.

> > > ...that's easy, you're not supposed to log in as root !!!! you should
> > > be loggin in as a regular user and 'su-ing' or 'sudo-ing' your root
> > > oriented stuff.

> > > on another note, at what runlevel are you at?

> please stop top-posting ...

> ... then you dont understand what i'm referring to. i'm not saying
> that you CANT login as root mechanically ... i'm talking more at
> the logical level. for security reasons and system safety reasons,
> you should NEVER log in as root. sure, you CAN, but you SHOULD NOT
> be. and what do you mean, "i can log in as root because i'm at the
> console". doesnt matter whether you're at runlevel 3 or 5 for a
> login, you shouldnt be doing it.

> anyway, i'd get in at runlevel 1 and poke around and see what is
> up (or use your recovery floppy (you did create one, right?) or
> use CD1 in recovery mode)

I had to update the following package:
util-linux-2.11f-17.7.2.i386.rpm

This fixed the RedHat bug.

WEIRD can't login problem

Post by jrm » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 10:33:23

> > "then you dont understand what i'm referring to"
> > I knew EXACTLY what you were refering to.  I didn't ask for a leason
inUNIX
> > Admin theory, I asked for help with a real problem.  I've been an UNIX
admin
> > for over 10 years and have never seen this problem before.

> ... hmmmmm. so you've been a "unix system admin for 10 years" and
> you dont know how to get around this? this is a very basic procedure
> well-known among sysadmins :)

> --
>  Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer,  #    Black holes result
>  skydiver, and author: "Inside Linux",     #   when God divides the
>  "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed"              #     universe by zero

I hope your books are not written in the same condescending tone that you
used here...
"and you dont know how to get around this?"
Get around what?  It was a bug, not anything that I was or was not doing...
What exactly is the "very basic procedure well-known among sysadmins" that
you were refering to? Try not assuming that you know more than everyone else
out here.

1. "You must 'exec' login from the lowest login shell" - Problem !

Hi all,

After I log into the CDE environment I start a xterm
and try to do a "exec /bin/login" (this is needed
by a special software on my AIX-4.3.3 system).
But I get the following error back:

"You must "exec" login from the lowest login shell"

What does this mean and how can I fix it ??

Thanks for any help,

        Joerg.

2. FreeBSD_2.2.2 & CVSup & Make world.

3. It's not bad canned meat...

4. EXECVP and Output redirection

5. DHCP: 2 ip-addresses on one NIC?

6. Q : Digital Unix 4.0 login problem : 'No directory!' & 'No shell!'

7. Linux and Adaptec SCSI

8. Weird Ping Problem -- Hide 'n' Seek?

9. Weird problem with 'less'

10. Help: needed from 'boot guru' WEIRD problem..

11. Weird 'who' problem!?

12. Help: needed from 'boot guru' WEIRD problem...