Which Partition / Boot Manager is best??

Which Partition / Boot Manager is best??

Post by Knowledge Seeke » Fri, 06 Dec 2002 06:59:42

Which Partition/Boot manager is the best??

I need to rebuild my hard drive.  I am primarily a Windows user but
want to build a triple boot system and include a version of Linux.
So, I think that I am looking for a Windows-focused product that will
also support Linux.  This is for a home system so I want to keep cost
down but would like a more elegant and robust product than freeware
typically provides (and probably need the support of a commercial
product also).

There seem to be several good candidates:

1.  TeraByte Unlimited BootIt
2.  PowerQuest Partition Magic/Boot Magic
3.  V-Com System Commander/Partition Commander
4.  OSL2000 Boot Manager
5.  Paragon Bootmanager/Partition Manager

Can you point me to a thoroughly detailed comparative review of these
products??
--

Post by Douglas Kirklan » Fri, 06 Dec 2002 07:18:54

> Which Partition/Boot manager is the best??

> I need to rebuild my hard drive.  I am primarily a Windows user but
> want to build a triple boot system and include a version of Linux.
> So, I think that I am looking for a Windows-focused product that will
> also support Linux.  This is for a home system so I want to keep cost
> down but would like a more elegant and robust product than freeware
> typically provides (and probably need the support of a commercial
> product also).

> There seem to be several good candidates:

> 1.  TeraByte Unlimited BootIt
> 2.  PowerQuest Partition Magic/Boot Magic
> 3.  V-Com System Commander/Partition Commander
> 4.  OSL2000 Boot Manager
> 5.  Paragon Bootmanager/Partition Manager

> Can you point me to a thoroughly detailed comparative review of these
> products??
> --

If you are looking for a boot load that can load anything and also
stable I would use GRUB or lilo.  I would stay away from the window
bases products as they tend not to work all the time.

Which Partition / Boot Manager is best??

Post by Bob » Fri, 06 Dec 2002 07:53:19

On Wed, 04 Dec 2002 21:59:42 GMT, Knowledge Seeker

>Which Partition/Boot manager is the best??

>I need to rebuild my hard drive.  I am primarily a Windows user but
>want to build a triple boot system and include a version of Linux.
>So, I think that I am looking for a Windows-focused product that will
>also support Linux.  This is for a home system so I want to keep cost
>down but would like a more elegant and robust product than freeware
>typically provides (and probably need the support of a commercial
>product also).

>There seem to be several good candidates:

>1.  TeraByte Unlimited BootIt
>2.  PowerQuest Partition Magic/Boot Magic
>3.  V-Com System Commander/Partition Commander
>4.  OSL2000 Boot Manager
>5.  Paragon Bootmanager/Partition Manager

>Can you point me to a thoroughly detailed comparative review of these
>products??

Not familiar with OSL2000 but have tried all the rest and have deleted
all except Bootit NG from TerabyteUnlimited.  Of course I want a boot
manager that will let me have more than 4 partitions per drive which
Bootit NG will do.  Another nice thing about Bootit NG is it's size.
The complete program, boot manager, partitioning tool, and disk
imaging all fits on one floppy disk making it simple to keep a backup
of the latest version.  This also means that you can create a small 8M
partition and install Bootit NG to it's own partition isolating it
from the various OS installations that you make.  The one drawback to
Bootit NG for you is that it is agnostic when it comes to an OS.  It
doesn't care what you are running, Windows, Linux, UNIX, BEOS, or
whatever so it would fail your Windows focused product criteria.

If you are looking for the best graphical presentation from within XP
then Partition Magic 8 is the winner of this competition but at the
expense of at least 70M of disk space.

If all you are wanting is to triple boot, then any of these will do
the job.  I recommend that you look into the support available with
each to decide which one is for you.  Bootit NG has it's own newsgroup
on it's own news server that is an excellent source of help for any
partitioning issues you may run into.

Bob T.

Post by Joe » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 02:50:45

> Which Partition/Boot manager is the best??

> I need to rebuild my hard drive.  I am primarily a Windows user but
> want to build a triple boot system and include a version of Linux.
> So, I think that I am looking for a Windows-focused product that will
> also support Linux.  This is for a home system so I want to keep cost
> down but would like a more elegant and robust product than freeware
> typically provides (and probably need the support of a commercial
> product also).

> There seem to be several good candidates:

> 1.  TeraByte Unlimited BootIt
> 2.  PowerQuest Partition Magic/Boot Magic
> 3.  V-Com System Commander/Partition Commander
> 4.  OSL2000 Boot Manager
> 5.  Paragon Bootmanager/Partition Manager

> Can you point me to a thoroughly detailed comparative review of these
> products??

I have a friend that uses system commander with much success. Even
better, it's one thing he's able to administer without help from me!

Which Partition / Boot Manager is best??

Post by Don Sedma » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 19:42:27

Before you shell out your money for these programs try XOSL first - it's
FREE!

www.xosl.org

Don

> Which Partition/Boot manager is the best??

> I need to rebuild my hard drive.  I am primarily a Windows user but
> want to build a triple boot system and include a version of Linux.
> So, I think that I am looking for a Windows-focused product that will
> also support Linux.  This is for a home system so I want to keep cost
> down but would like a more elegant and robust product than freeware
> typically provides (and probably need the support of a commercial
> product also).

> There seem to be several good candidates:

> 1.  TeraByte Unlimited BootIt
> 2.  PowerQuest Partition Magic/Boot Magic
> 3.  V-Com System Commander/Partition Commander
> 4.  OSL2000 Boot Manager
> 5.  Paragon Bootmanager/Partition Manager

> Can you point me to a thoroughly detailed comparative review of these
> products??
> --

the name K-n-o-w-l-e-d-g-e-S-e-e-k-e-r (without the dashes)

Which Partition / Boot Manager is best??

Post by CS » Sun, 08 Dec 2002 03:16:54

On Fri, 06 Dec 2002 10:42:27 GMT, "Don Sedman"

>Before you shell out your money for these programs try XOSL first - it's
>FREE!

>www.xosl.org

Unfortunately, it's only a boot loader.  It does not do partition work
- and has not been upgraded since March 2001.   BING is still the best
selection.   See for yourself:

www.terabyteunlimited.com

1. Partition Software - Partition Magic, Bootit, Boot Manager or Ranish Partition Manager

spake unto us, saying:

By default, Solaris and Linux will not be able to see each other, and
the Windows flavors will not be able to see either one.  So your only
concern will be the visibility between NT and Win95.

If you install those two in primary partitions on the same drive, there
shouldn't be a problem with that either.

Bootit is a utility I know of but have not used.

The only "Boot Manager" I know about is the OS/2 Boot Manager (also the
same as the IBM Boot Manager included as part of Partition Magic 3.x),
and it's a nice basic boot menu, but I'm not sure it's available at all
as a separate product.  I've used it for years (since 1992 I think).

Partition Magic is a glorified (and relatively powerful) fdisk utility
which I've used for quite a while.  Very useful, IMhO.  Newer versions
have things I'm not familiar with (I'm still using the OS/2 version of
PM 2.03).

Ranish's Partition Manager looks like a REALLY slick utility, and it's
on my list to play with.  But I copped out and bought a copy of System
Commander here instead.  :-)

I think I would recommend that you add System Commander to your list
above, since it allows you to selectively change primary partition
visibility (in many cases) for each individual boot menu entry.

Really, though, you probably don't need it.  The only question I would
have is how to get NT's boot manager to get along with Solaris' boot
manager, and I suspect that can be done.

--

       OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris +
        WinNT4 + Win95 + PC/GEOS + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!

2. Solaris 2.6 NOTICE: realloccg: file system full

3. mpage or psmerge (merging postscript files in a printer driver)

4. Triple Boot - Which Partition / Boot Manager is best??

5. It worked with the install boot/root disks, but..

6. Q: Can SCO OS5 be booted from the partition manager boot manager ?

7. XFree86, CDE, and fonts

8. Which Partition / Boot Manager is best??

9. Solaris Boot Manager, Want ot make WIN95 partition default boot partition

10. Which Partition / Boot Manager is best??

11. Does anybody have any idea how is Ranish Boot Manager/Partition manager?