keyboard sniffer?

Post by Nomen Nesci » Tue, 29 Oct 2002 22:30:18

How could I tell if someone put a keypress sniffer on my computer
(it's running a mainstream GNU/Linux distro)?

keyboard sniffer?

Post by Khayma » Tue, 29 Oct 2002 22:42:02

Quote:> How could I tell if someone put a keypress sniffer on my computer
> (it's running a mainstream GNU/Linux distro)?

You could take a look at ps/pstree/top and see if you see any suspicious
programs running.
Note that those three programs would most likely lie to you if someone
really installed a keysniffer on your machine, since those people would
start with running a so-called "root-kit" as soon as they take over your
machine...

Another way would be to sniff your own box - see if it's sending some wierd
traffic somewhere..

Khay.

keyboard sniffer?

Post by Greg » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:14:45

Or you could simply type every command encrypted...  but that would require
installing special software so that your OS could re-interpret your
encrypted commands... ;-)

G.

> > How could I tell if someone put a keypress sniffer on my computer
> > (it's running a mainstream GNU/Linux distro)?

> You could take a look at ps/pstree/top and see if you see any suspicious
> programs running.
> Note that those three programs would most likely lie to you if someone
> really installed a keysniffer on your machine, since those people would
> start with running a so-called "root-kit" as soon as they take over your
> machine...

> Another way would be to sniff your own box - see if it's sending some
wierd
> traffic somewhere..

> Khay.

1. Share one keyboard between a PC and a SPARCstation (preferably SPARC keyboard)

: Well, the two types are not compatible. Even though I found PC
: versions of Sun keyboards and Sun versions of PC keyboards, I could
: not find anything (like a switchbox) to share one keyboard (preferably
: Sun type 5) between a PC and a SPARCstation.
:
: Can anyone let me know of such switchboxes ?
:

        Sun sells a box that allows you to use a PC keyboard & mouse on
a SPARC.  We bought one for evaluations last year.  Except for having
to play chords to invoke the L1-10 keys it was entirely satisfactory.

        There are a few third party products that provide similar
functionality.  Check the BlackBox or workstation express catalogs.
warning, these things cost a lot more than another keyboard.

        --Dale

2. A point in the right direction please...?

3. Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor Switch , keyboard drops out

4. Printing background images?

5. unix2dos on Solaris: could not get keyboard type US keyboard assumed

6. Linux & yellow page

7. How does keyboard input transmit from keyboard of X Server to application?

8. scp of multiple files to multiple locations on remote host

9. keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not present?(f4)

10. Ultra5 uses German keyboard layout for US keyboard after dtlogin...

11. Swedish keyboard file for Macintosh keyboard?

12. keyboard beep on sun type 4 keyboard

13. How to find the keyboard type and keyboard layout?