Removing LILO from the master boot record

Removing LILO from the master boot record

Post by Ranger Ri » Sat, 01 Oct 1994 03:37:05

I just recently removed Linux from my system, but unfortunately I don't have
any of my Linux resources anymore, and LILO still has control of the Master
Boot Record of my first drive (Linux was on the second).  Is there anyway to
remove this?  F-Disk'ing and formatting haven't worked (I've tried both FAT
and HPFS, and have reformatted numerous times).  Will a low-level format remove
this problem?  And if so... does anyone know a site where a Seagate low-level
formatter would be available (I don't have modem access, just Internet).

Thanks for any help.

Post by Gregory Mai » Sat, 01 Oct 1994 05:00:06

: I just recently removed Linux from my system, but unfortunately I don't have
: any of my Linux resources anymore, and LILO still has control of the Master
: Boot Record of my first drive (Linux was on the second).  Is there anyway to
: remove this?  F-Disk'ing and formatting haven't worked (I've tried both FAT
: and HPFS, and have reformatted numerous times).  Will a low-level format remove
: this problem?  And if so... does anyone know a site where a Seagate low-level
: formatter would be available (I don't have modem access, just Internet).

: Thanks for any help.

Boot MS-DOS from a floppy, then try the undocumented command:

C:\> FDISK/MBR

This rewrites the "Manufacturer's Boot Record" whatever that is.  The
result should be that you can boot MS-DOS after that.

Greg

Post by Joe Rosenfe » Sat, 01 Oct 1994 20:03:24

: I just recently removed Linux from my system, but unfortunately I don't have
: any of my Linux resources anymore, and LILO still has control of the Master
: Boot Record of my first drive (Linux was on the second).  Is there anyway to
: remove this?  F-Disk'ing and formatting haven't worked (I've tried both FAT
: and HPFS, and have reformatted numerous times).  Will a low-level format remove
: this problem?  And if so... does anyone know a site where a Seagate low-level
: formatter would be available (I don't have modem access, just Internet).

: Thanks for any help.

If you have a copy of MS-SLOTH v5.0 or higher you can use fdisk to
remove it.

Do an fdisk /mbr and the LILO on the master boot record WILL be
removed.

Joe

--

Post by Viktor T. To » Sat, 01 Oct 1994 06:58:26

>I just recently removed Linux from my system, but unfortunately I don't have
>any of my Linux resources anymore, and LILO still has control of the Master
>Boot Record of my first drive (Linux was on the second).  Is there anyway to
>remove this?  F-Disk'ing and formatting haven't worked (I've tried both FAT
>and HPFS, and have reformatted numerous times).  Will a low-level format remove
>this problem?  And if so... does anyone know a site where a Seagate low-level
>formatter would be available (I don't have modem access, just Internet).

>Thanks for any help.

No need to low level format. Try 'fdisk /mbr' with an fdisk from DOS 5.0 or
higher.

Viktor