Linux with Appletalk network?

Post by Aron C. Hein » Sat, 25 Sep 1993 13:00:17

    Is it possible to use Linux over an appletalk network (on a 486 using
Farallon's appletalk card).  Does a driver exist?  If not, is there enough
interest out there for me to put the effort into developing one?

    What are the relative strengths of Linux versus NetBSD/FreeBSD?
  Thanks - Aron.

Linux with Appletalk network?

Post by Eduardo Kaftans » Tue, 28 Sep 1993 09:15:04

Quote:>    Is it possible to use Linux over an appletalk network (on a 486 using
>Farallon's appletalk card).  Does a driver exist?  If not, is there enough
>interest out there for me to put the effort into developing one?

        I'm interested. As a matter of fact, I was starting to browse
for documentation to start writing it myself (I'm not experiensed in
device driver writing, but I'm trying to learn) Do you know where to
find tech docs on Flashcards and Farallon cards?

--
Eduardo Kaftanski

Linux with Appletalk network?

Post by Jeff Kopman » Tue, 28 Sep 1993 09:22:53

I've got an Apple AppleShare-PC card in my machine and would REALLY like to
see somebody write a driver.  I know zippo about device driver writing and
how Appletalk works.  Keep us posted on any occurances.  Thanks!
-Jeff. :)

--

Organizer of the Linux Software Map (LSM)   |  phone: (313) 393-4784 (work)
"So shines a good deed in a weary world."  -Willy Wonka

Linux with Appletalk network?

Post by John Spa » Sat, 02 Oct 1993 08:44:13

Since we are talking about Apple I may as well
publicly state how I hope to try building Linux
on my new Orange PC 486SLC card that I will be installing
in my Quadra 840AV machine.  I will post a follow-up note
later on with my status...

-John Spady, Portland, Oregon.

1. FAQ? Linux & Appletalk networking using an ISP...

Hi,

What I'm really after is a pointer in the right direction as to how to
setup an Intel based Linux to speak to a Mac over an Appletalk link.

The situation is this:

In a shared house, have a housefull of computers & 1 phone line.

Due to a mixture of HW & OS's (NT, '95, Mac OS & Linux) we wish to
network these togther & use the Linux box as an IP-proxy, which wold
have the modem - to use the phone-line effectively. The Firewall-HOWTO &
IP-masquerading-HOWTO are useful for giving the key ideas, so the real
problem is the Mac, the nicest solution (from our POV) would be to have
Appletalk support on the Linux end making the networking simple.

Any pointers in the right (or better :-) direction would be helpful.

Replies by email are preferred, and I will summarise the replies and
repost them here. (This is standard practice on many groups I use, if
it's not the case here, I apologise - I will be tracking replies on the
group too)

Zath.
---------------------------------<*>----------------------------------
"Though we are not now that strength which in days of old moved earth
  and heaven, that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic
   hearts made weak by time and fate but strong in will to strive,
     to seek, to find and not to yield" -- Tennyson's "Ulysses"

2. copy cd to tape

3. Linux and Appletalk network

4. Sunray Enterprise Server on Solaris 8

5. Appletalk and tcp/ip networking under linux

6. Internet access...slow ?

7. Networking Linux with Appletalk

8. X Config for Toshiba 420CDT - Please help.

9. appletalk networking with linux

10. Linux on an Appletalk Network?

11. Linux to Mac AppleTalk network?

12. Appletalk Network

13. Exporting a printer to an Appletalk network