Linux: two 540 Mb HD or one 1GB HD

Post by Y.H » Sat, 27 Aug 1994 19:24:13

Dear all;

   With Linux, if you pay the samilar price to either
get two 540 Mb HD or one 1Gb HD, which option is better
or makes no difference at all.

Please advise.

Y.Hu

Linux: two 540 Mb HD or one 1GB HD

Post by g.. » Mon, 29 Aug 1994 14:57:29

: Dear all;
:
:    With Linux, if you pay the samilar price to either
: get two 540 Mb HD or one 1Gb HD, which option is better
: or makes no difference at all.

: Please advise.

: Y.Hu

Due to the sizes quoted, I'll assume SCSI drives.  In this
case you would be better off w/two 540Mb drives, as both
can be accessed at the same time.  Multi-tasking & SCSI are
most definately friends!  Um..possible exception to this
suggestion would be if you intend to eventually need LOTS
of drive space, in which case the 7 drives per host adapter
limit could bite you.

1. Old bios, Linux won't boot from 540 mb HD

From vanderso Tue Dec  6 22:45:19 1994
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 22:45:19 -0500
From: Valerian Anderson <vanderso>

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Old bios, Linux doesn't boot from 540 meg hd

Is there any way to make Linux boot from a hard drive
that isn't correctly set up in the bios?

I install Linux on the drive fine, but Linux won't boot
from the hard drive.

HD: Quantum LPS540AT
Controller: Boca IDE plus
Bios: 1989 AMI

This is all running on an Everex 386 with 7 mb ram.

OS2 won't boot from it either. I do have a software driver for DOS
that let's me use the hard drive with DOS/Windows no problem,
but I'd like to get away from that path....

An email answer is preferred.

Thanks.

V. Anderson

2. PPT-Files

3. 540 MB ATA HD failure

4. Need Help - Glint (RPMS) fails

5. Old bios, Linux doesn't boot from 540 meg hd

6. RFC: System for fast dynamic web content (PHP/CGI/PERL/DBI)

7. how to move linux from one HD to another HD?

8. Anyone have RH 6.2 i386 ISO yet?

9. Help: Adaptec 2942, 540 HD and Sound Blaster Pro CDRom

10. Quantum 540 SCSI HD doesn't work

11. 540 meg HD question...

12. need help with WD 540 meg HD and lilo...

13. 540 WD HD partition ???