hard disk with 32 heads

Post by Richard Casse » Wed, 08 Mar 1995 02:57:12

I am trying to install Linux on a 486dx2 66 with slackware 2.0.0.
using Linux 1.0.9.
while booting up from the installation disk i get the following
message
hd C: ST-506 interface disk with more then 16 heads detected probably
      due to non-standard sector translation. Giving up
     (disk 0:cyl=524,sect=63,head=32)
the disk is 540 megs and the BIOS sets it up using LBA
Linux is correctly reporting what my hard disk is and also
loads alright into a Ramdisk it Creates but when I run setup
it tells me to run fdisk to allocate an area on my disk for linux
but fdisk tells me it cannot read dev/hda
I assume this is because of the error message while booting up
I would be grateful if anyone can tell me if it is possible to
get round this restriction on the use of large hard disk or point me
to a site with a compiled version that overcomes this problem
thanks in anticpation
--
Richard Cassell BEM of Gomersal

1. Need boot disk for disk with 32 heads (1.1.49?)

Hmpf - it would seem all the bootimages I can find do NOT support
more that 16 heads. I seem to recall that the 1.1.49 kernel fixes
this - does anyone have a boot image of that kernel?

I am trying to do an initial install on my 540 meg disk with
heads=32,sec=63,cyl=512 (540 meg drive)

Can anyone help me? Just point me to an ftp location...

Thanks, Bob

-----
Bob Oesterlin, IBM AS/400 Division       Dept 54T, Rochester MN 55901

Phone: (507)-253-4528 (tie) 553-4528     ICBMNet: 44N 92.5W

2. HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

3. Accessing 32 bit access on VLB hard disk controller

4. NOTICE ; (cpqw) - OPENSERVER 5.05

5. Hard disk I/O errors with 2.0.32 kernel :(

6. Dynamic SLIP connection

7. 32 head HD not supported???

8. Access SCO partition from Unix,

9. help linux install on large IDE (32 heads)

10. New install on 32 head IDE

11. Can I easily change (cylinder,head,sector) sizes on FAT 32 (LBA) to avoid 1024 prob?

12. hard disk with more than 16 heads

13. Need bootdisk that will accept 32 head drive (1.1.45 kernel or later)