I'm having host problems (null)~# and SLIP problems

I'm having host problems (null)~# and SLIP problems

Post by sn.. » Sun, 25 Dec 1994 20:37:01

Hello, i just installed a newer version of Linux, and am having
problems with hostname.  the first thing i noticed after i installed
linux and logged in for the first time, my prompt was:

(none)~#

even though i ran netconfg, etc...
also, when i try dip -t it gives me host lookup failure or something.
i checked my /etc/hosts file and my host is in that file properly,
has anyone had problems like this?  I didnt have these problems in
the previous version of linux i was running.

thanks a bunch!

-- brian

1. rsh machine -n 'command >&/dev/null </dev/null &'

My copy of the Unix FAQ suggests syntax like this

            rsh machine -n 'command >&/dev/null </dev/null &'

for running rsh (assuming I use csh on the remote machine, and
something similar if I use sh remotely).  This has always worked
fine for me under SunOS 4.1.2.

My question is: Will this magic necessary under Solaris 2.X?

Many thanks!
---
Francois-Michel Lang          (202) 752-6067   FAX: (202) 752-5074

2. backing up a mac

3. SLIP and a null modem -- problems

4. 8-Port-Adapter problems under 3003

5. SLip via Null Problems

6. apacheSSL

7. having problems with 'find' command

8. Sec. Vul. OpenView NNM Object IDs (Rev.01)

9. Having problems with routed and slip server.

10. Some problems I've been having with REDhat 3.03 (I'm a newbie)

11. NET-2: still having slip problems.

12. Having problems w/ 'disksetup' on IDE drives

13. My solution to the 'link via null modem(laplink) cable' problem