SLS 1.03 / Linux 0.99.11 Help / Upgrade?

SLS 1.03 / Linux 0.99.11 Help / Upgrade?

Post by Brett Davids » Wed, 22 Jun 1994 19:49:26

Hiya there all!

I have obtained a very old copy of the SLS Linux Distribution.
I will upgrade shortly (more on that later) but I am having problems with
the installation as it stands.

Essentially it doesn't want to mount proc automatically.

As per the instructions I put "/proc /proc proc defaults" in the /etc/fstab
file (tab delimited) but the booting procedure misses this.
It mounts my /dev/hda7 alright (the root and user partition - I had trouble
making a seperate partition for /usr).

Now if I type "mount /proc /proc -t proc" at the root prompt I get the
thing loading and "ps" will then run.
"df" will also run but will not report back on my root partition.
It says it can't read the mount table. If I mount a floppy "df" will work.
All I want to do is see if I have enough room for Tiny-X?!!
What's the story?

O.K. That's the first and most important problem.
Now for the second. As my version of Linux is so old, I am asking for the
easiest and most economic way of using ftp / Fidonet / Floppynet to get
the required patches.

Would I be better off getting a more up-to-date complete installation?
I can see that I am going to have problems with this one as uucp doesn't
work as well. (I'm running UUCP for OS/2 at present to write this).
The installation didn't even create a uucppublic directory!
I haven't looked to find out whether anything else is wrong!
I don't want to know!

I don't mind the challenge of sorting it all out but I am a Unix beginner and
I feel I could be wasting a significant amount of time :-).

My machine for those of you who feel you might need to know this is a
486 DX33 with 4Mb of Ram, a 4Mb swap partition and 100Mb of Hard disk for
Linux to play with. I have a Colarado Jumbo 250 Tape Backup Unit and I see
from this newsgroup that there is source code for that.
I run a Zyxel 1496E 16800 Bps Modem with Voice capability and I also see that
there are drivers out for that as well.
I want to play with X-Windows and wouldn't mind getting into NFS, TCP-IP and
all that jazz at a later stage. I do need a UUCP feed and G++ now though.
(I want to do some porting of software to Linux).
I would like it to be as cheap as possible too. Don't want much do I? :-)

Are there any distributions that could do me justice on all points?
Well, how about some of these points? A few of these points? :-)

I don't need the full installation all at once - a sort of installment plan
would be nice on the wallet if things are getting expensive.

Actually, I don't care how you reply as long as you do! :-)

Chairs, Brett Davidson

Post by Mark P. Nels » Fri, 24 Jun 1994 03:39:08

: I have obtained a very old copy of the SLS Linux Distribution.
: I will upgrade shortly (more on that later) but I am having problems with
: the installation as it stands.

: Essentially it doesn't want to mount proc automatically.

: As per the instructions I put "/proc /proc proc defaults" in the /etc/fstab
: file (tab delimited) but the booting procedure misses this.
: It mounts my /dev/hda7 alright (the root and user partition - I had trouble
: making a seperate partition for /usr).

My SLS 1.03 original installation wanted the following entry, different
from yours in /etc/fstab.  This works for me:

none /proc proc defaults.

: Now if I type "mount /proc /proc -t proc" at the root prompt I get the
: thing loading and "ps" will then run.
: "df" will also run but will not report back on my root partition.
: It says it can't read the mount table. If I mount a floppy "df" will work.
: All I want to do is see if I have enough room for Tiny-X?!!
: What's the story?

The SLS installation mucked up fstab for me too, and I had to redo it all
manually, along with copious editing of the /etc/rc, rc.local, and rc.net
scripts.  If you like, email me, and I'll send you mine, but see my comment
below first.

: O.K. That's the first and most important problem.
: Now for the second. As my version of Linux is so old, I am asking for the
: easiest and most economic way of using ftp / Fidonet / Floppynet to get
: the required patches.

ftp new stuff from the linux site nearest you.  This is best/quickest/cheapest
all rolled into one.  I'm pretty sure there is a sunsite mirror in Australia,
otherwise your closest is probably linuxftp.caltech.edu.

: Would I be better off getting a more up-to-date complete installation?
: I can see that I am going to have problems with this one as uucp doesn't
: work as well. (I'm running UUCP for OS/2 at present to write this).
: The installation didn't even create a uucppublic directory!
: I haven't looked to find out whether anything else is wrong!
: I don't want to know!

There is a script to do the uucp setup, but I don't trust their scripts to do
much correctly.

I have too much invested in my present setup to start over with a fresh
release.  You don't yet, and I would really recommend downloading something
like the latest Slackware distribution and going from there.  The scripts
in Slackware are supposed to be much improved over the old SLS ones.

I could go on about how to fix many other things also wrong with SLS 1.03,
but you say you don't want to know!

: I don't mind the challenge of sorting it all out but I am a Unix beginner and
: I feel I could be wasting a significant amount of time :-).

Yes.

: My machine for those of you who feel you might need to know this is a
: 486 DX33 with 4Mb of Ram, a 4Mb swap partition and 100Mb of Hard disk for
: Linux to play with. I have a Colarado Jumbo 250 Tape Backup Unit and I see
: from this newsgroup that there is source code for that.
: I run a Zyxel 1496E 16800 Bps Modem with Voice capability and I also see that
: there are drivers out for that as well.
: I want to play with X-Windows and wouldn't mind getting into NFS, TCP-IP and
: all that jazz at a later stage. I do need a UUCP feed and G++ now though.
: (I want to do some porting of software to Linux).
: I would like it to be as cheap as possible too. Don't want much do I? :-)

: Are there any distributions that could do me justice on all points?
: Well, how about some of these points? A few of these points? :-)

Any distribution will do.  Some just need more hand tuning than others.  You
can probably get X to run with 4MB of RAM if you configure more swap space.
Try it with 8.  If you want to compile stuff while editing code in X-Windows,
you will really need at least *MB of physical RAM, as well as 8MB swap.

--

                         While I'll admit that anyone can make a mistake once,
                         to go on making the same lethal errors century after

1. Can't compile kernel 0.99.12 SLS 1.03 - please help!

From mr4dec::sgentile Fri Sep 10 22:36:16 1993
    I am trying to re-compile my Linux kernel to fix the SoundBlaster
    Problems. I have SLS 1.03. I run thru the configure and that works
    great. Then I set up the logical links correctly. Then make dep which
    completes fine. But then when I do make or make zImage, I always get:

    gcc ... /init/main.c
    cpp:: /usr/tmp/cca01042.i: No such file or directory
    make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1

    Every time I run it, the cca number changes. There is a /usr/tmp dir
    and the protections allow read/write. What is wrong?

    Thanks,
    Sam

2. Configuring X on a server installation?

3. Problems with FTP on Linux 0.99.12 (SLS 1.03)

4. Lotus Notes for SCO UNIX under Linux iBCS?

5. How to upgrade from SLS 1.03 to SLS 1.05

6. **** XWINDOWS ****

7. SL/IP for linux SLS 1.03

8. Printer info needed

9. Upgrading: SLS 1.03 --> 1.05

10. upgrading 1.01 -> 1.03 (SLS)

11. SLS 1.02 => 1.03 upgrade?

12. SLS 1.03: Stable enough to upgrade up now?

13. Sound Driver for Linux 0.99.11