XFree86 mach32 server hangs: any help?

Post by Yves Arrou » Wed, 13 Jul 1994 20:31:42

Hi,

I tried the XFree86 mach32 server with an ATI Ultra Pro card. Everything is
fine except when one has windows with different color palettes in them: if one
switches windows something like 10 times, the server suddenly hangs and the
machine has to be rebooted.

Do you know if there is a recent mach32 server without this problem (I am
using the server from a recent Slackware)?

Thanks for any help,
Yves.

--
Advocates for the C++ school claim that a well designed           Yves Arrouye

while advocates for the Objective-C school claim that         (33) 76 57 48 64
    the errors are no problem in practice (another lie).             NeXT Mail

Post by Dave Per » Thu, 14 Jul 1994 06:51:36

>I tried the XFree86 mach32 server with an ATI Ultra Pro card. Everything is
>fine except when one has windows with different color palettes in them: if one
>switches windows something like 10 times, the server suddenly hangs and the
>machine has to be rebooted.

    I have the same problem.  The machine appears completely dead.  It doesn't
    even respond to pings.  Syncs don't appear to be happening either, no hard
    disk light flickers. The only way out is the red button, then wait and
    pray that the 500Mb EXT2FS survives without a reload.  (So far it has,
    good job there Remy!)  BTW the only program I've had the problem with is
    XV.
--

Gandalf Data Limited    | TEL 1-613-723-6500 x8765 |---------------------------
Nepean, Ontario, Canada | FAX 1-613-226-1717       | Soren Kierkegaard says

1. XFree86 & Mach32 server problem

When I use the Mach32 server my display is longer in the middle of the monitor
than near the corners. The monitor parameters are just as in the monitor manual.
This does not happen when I use the SVGA server.

I suspect that the Mach32 server does not use display parameters from the card
EPROM bcoz I had the same problem b4 I ran the card software in DOS and
configured it correctly.

Please help!!!

-------

2. tip and serial ports

3. Configuration problem with XFree86 3.1.2 for Mach32 server - xf86conf (0/1)

4. Controlling Biff

5. Configuration problem with XFree86 3.1.2 for Mach32 server - xf86conf (1/1)

6. Ethernet cards hangs on boot

7. Help with Mach32 X server: 0 clocks found on ATI GUP

8. Lost ROOT password

9. Need help to get 16 bpp with the Mach32 server under 1024x768.

10. hang at font server start after upgrade RH 6 to XFree86 3.3.5

11. HELP: inetd vs rpc server; server hangs!

12. Linux XFree86 elf xerver wn't work (Mach32, ELF)

13. Occasionally garbled fonts with XFree86 Mach32 *AND* Mach64