LILO boot loader problems

Post by Jeff » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 08:34:39

Here's my setup:

master hard drive, one partition, it has Windows ME on it.
slave hard drive, one FAT32 partition, some linux partitions, which,
duh, hold linux(Red Hat 8).

Linux root is on /dev/hdb6.

I've installed Red Hat, configured my partitions, and I chose to use
the GRUB boot loader because, well, I didn't know what I was doing,
and I still don't now.  The next time I booted up my computer, I saw
the word "GRUB" on the upper left corner of my screen, and it stopped
and did nothing.  So, I booted linux from a boot disk and installed
LILO.

Lilo booted up, it only got to the first L though.  (some error code I
believe, it shows characters as stages of the loading process
complete)

I've talked with many people and I've asked them how to fix this, and
have arrived to no solution.  I ended up fdisking the master boot
record, and now I can only access linux through a boot floppy.

Perhaps it's my weird hard drive setup that's confusing Linux.  Any
ideas?

LILO boot loader problems

Post by don » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 12:53:59

i have windows 98 on one hard drive and Red Hat 8 on a second hard
drive.  I haven't been able to get either Lilo or Grub to dual boot.
Please let me know if you get a fix.

Thanks.

> Here's my setup:

> master hard drive, one partition, it has Windows ME on it.
> slave hard drive, one FAT32 partition, some linux partitions, which,
> duh, hold linux(Red Hat 8).

> Linux root is on /dev/hdb6.

> I've installed Red Hat, configured my partitions, and I chose to use
> the GRUB boot loader because, well, I didn't know what I was doing,
> and I still don't now.  The next time I booted up my computer, I saw
> the word "GRUB" on the upper left corner of my screen, and it stopped
> and did nothing.  So, I booted linux from a boot disk and installed
> LILO.

> Lilo booted up, it only got to the first L though.  (some error code I
> believe, it shows characters as stages of the loading process
> complete)

> I've talked with many people and I've asked them how to fix this, and
> have arrived to no solution.  I ended up fdisking the master boot
> record, and now I can only access linux through a boot floppy.

> Perhaps it's my weird hard drive setup that's confusing Linux.  Any
> ideas?

LILO boot loader problems

Post by Clive Dov » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:33:59

> Here's my setup:

> master hard drive, one partition, it has Windows ME on it.
> slave hard drive, one FAT32 partition, some linux partitions, which,
> duh, hold linux(Red Hat 8).

> Linux root is on /dev/hdb6.

> I've installed Red Hat, configured my partitions, and I chose to use
> the GRUB boot loader because, well, I didn't know what I was doing,
> and I still don't now.  The next time I booted up my computer, I saw
> the word "GRUB" on the upper left corner of my screen, and it stopped
> and did nothing.  So, I booted linux from a boot disk and installed
> LILO.

> Lilo booted up, it only got to the first L though.  (some error code I
> believe, it shows characters as stages of the loading process
> complete)

> I've talked with many people and I've asked them how to fix this, and
> have arrived to no solution.  I ended up fdisking the master boot
> record, and now I can only access linux through a boot floppy.

> Perhaps it's my weird hard drive setup that's confusing Linux.  Any
> ideas?

I suspect that you have a misconfigured lilo.

Let us see the contents of file /etc/lilo.conf

To copy the contents, run this commant from a terminal window:

cat /etc/lilo.conf

Then highlight the whole text that is returned.

Alternatively, paste the returned text to an ascii editor window then
save it and copy the saved text to a fat partition where you can paste
it into your windows newsgroup program's reply window.

LILO boot loader problems

Post by Viet Le Hon » Wed, 12 Mar 2003 22:13:30

I think that your boot partition is not in the first 1024 cylinders (about
first 8G of your hardriver). Let consult the installation guide and reinstall
your Redhat such that you have a boot partition located entirely in the fisrt
1024 cylinders.
Hope it helps.

1. boot loader not showing up; installed boot loader record on /dev/hda2

Hello,
I installed Red Hat 7.3 but installed boot loader record on the first
sector of boot partition (/dev/hda2) instead of /dev/hda Master boot
record. When I restarted my laptop after installation, Grub did not
appear and Windows XP home edition loaded. I am guessing this happened
because I installed Grub in /dev/hda2. How do I go to linux? How do I
copy the bootloader from /dev/hda2 to MBR? Thanks.

2. Login to NIS (yp) client as user shows $USER as root!

3. Problems with LILO in NT Boot Loader.

4. : how to set up Suns Boot manager

5. Domains down some times

6. Help with restoring /boot/loader.rc & loader.conf files please

7. compiling apache w/ glibc6 && RH 5.0

8. LILO Boot loader...

9. LILO DOS loader boots A: instead of C:

10. LILO - Generic boot loader (ALPHA TEST RELEASE)

11. Unable to boot using NT OS Loader + LILO

12. Lilo boot loader