Swap space - how much?

Post by Matthew Gibb » Mon, 04 Jul 1994 00:56:58

I have a 16MB machine and I am about to install Linux. How much swap space, if
any, do I need? Is it a 1-1 relationship (i.e. 16MB of swap space) or, like
M*cr*s*ft W*nd*ws, should I use 64MB?

Answers most appreciated...

Matthew

Swap space - how much?

Post by Dan P » Wed, 06 Jul 1994 03:02:14

Quote:>I have a 16MB machine and I am about to install Linux. How much swap space, if
>any, do I need? Is it a 1-1 relationship (i.e. 16MB of swap space) or, like
>M*cr*s*ft W*nd*ws, should I use 64MB?

The formula used to evaluate the amount of swap needed by a Linux system
is pretty simple:

swap = virtual memory needed - RAM

OTOH, nobody can help you to evaluate how much virtual memory you need.
For a single user machine, 32 MB of VM should be enough, which means
a 16 MB swap partition. If you'll every need more (not very likely,
IMHO), you can always add a swap file.

Dan
--
Dan Pop
CERN, CN Division

Swap space - how much?

Post by Christian Kurz » Wed, 06 Jul 1994 22:12:21

Quote:>I have a 16MB machine and I am about to install Linux. How much swap space, if
>any, do I need? Is it a 1-1 relationship (i.e. 16MB of swap space) or, like
>M*cr*s*ft W*nd*ws, should I use 64MB?
>Answers most appreciated...
>Matthew

I use a 16MB machine, too, and I have about 25MB of swapspace, and I think
its fine for me, even for several graphical applications and kernel
compilations.

- hope this helps...

chris

--
------------ L I N U X - gib Grafenreuth keine Chance!!! --------------

1. plenty of swap space, but keep receiving error "swap space limit exceeded"

Syslog reports
  unix: WARNING: /tmp: File system full, swap space limit exceeded

But

  Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
  swap                 2423720   48480 2375240     3%    /tmp

The host:
  SunOS <hostname> 5.7 Generic_106541-16 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60

I ran vmstat 1 for some time and watched for available swap space to
go to zero. But the lowest it would go is 75kB.

When analyzing this problem, I ran into the following error twice, but
for different commands:
  Can't run command <command>
  fork(2) failed; no more memory

What's going on?

Thanks.

2. Mail to Exchange Server from Unix Server

3. Try to mount a seocn SWAP space-- error" unable to find swap space signature"

4. Ad-Hoc issues.

5. Is swap space in SCO only swap space or is it consider virtual memory

6. VideoPix driver under 2.5

7. Allocated swap space versus used swap space

8. Our liberty and privacy eroding ....

9. Linux HardDrive Space Reqs, Swap Space

10. Adding swap space using 'swap -a' command ?

11. Paging space size (NOT swap space size)

12. /tmp Swap space running out of space

13. Only 16MB swap space with 30 MB swap file ?