Communications program in Linux?

Post by Steve Brenn » Wed, 11 May 1994 00:06:20

Is there a communications program included with the Linux system? I'd
like to be able to dial into my Internet account while booted up in
Linux. I don't currently have a SLIP or PPP connection but this might be
an option in the future.

Thanks,

Steve

Communications program in Linux?

Post by Trae Bail » Thu, 12 May 1994 22:21:41

Quote:> Is there a communications program included with the Linux system? I'd

Since I'm unsure which distribution you have, I'll give you the answer for
Slackware.  Three communications programs are included in this distribution:

        1)  Seyon - (my favorite) a communications package for X11.  It looks
                great when compiled with the 3D athena libraries.

        2)  minicom - (nice) works in a VT or xterm

        3)  kermit - (no experience) the lowest common denominator

Try doing a man on them.

Trae Bailey
Programmer/Analyst
Nichols Research Corporation

Post by Nicholas J. Le » Mon, 16 May 1994 00:38:15

: Is there a communications program included with the Linux system? I'd
: like to be able to dial into my Internet account while booted up in
: Linux. I don't currently have a SLIP or PPP connection but this might be
: an option in the future.

If you're planning on using your Linux system to call into another Unix
account that's Internet-live, then have a SERIOUS look at "Term". Term is
one of the compelling reasons I switched over to Linux. basically, it
"fakes" a TCP/IP connection over serial lines (not like SLIP/PPP tho, which
are /pretty/ transparent). But it has one great advantage over SLIP/PPP, you
need not configure the remote computer for anything. You just run term. So,
in other words, you need not get your system admin to set things up for you.
You can do it yourself.

Anyway, check into TERM. I think the newest release is 1.14.

N!
--

WEB   | http://hamlet.uncg.edu/~leonni/
PHONE | 910/274/3041

1. Program to Program communication?

I have one ksh script that calls a perl script.  I want these programs
to communicate with eachother.  I basically want the perl script to
respond with a yes or no.  I suppose one would think to just use the
exit code of the perl script, but the exit code is reserved for when the
perl script is called by itself.

Thanks for any guidance in this.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. problem with remote printer ..

3. APPC ( Advanched Program to Program Communication ) info wanted

4. migrating users from one linux box to another

5. Communication program in Linux?

6. USB 1 button Mouse...Need to "Right Click"???

7. require basic Linux information; installing programs communications

8. Plugger Plugin for video files

9. Looking for a Linux version of the "tip" communication program

10. Best Communications Program for Linux?

11. "tip" communication program for Linux?

12. Looking for a Linux version of the communication program "tip"

13. Where can I find the linux version of "tip" the communication program