Does something like dvivga exist?

Post by Ludo Vangilberg » Wed, 14 Sep 1994 19:33:14

Hi,

A couple of days ago comp.os.linux.announce featured an announcement of a
postscript previewer that did not require X windows. I wonder whether there
is a similar tool that can handle dvi files. Is there a utility "dvivga"
around? (Yes, there is. At least, Archie mentions lots of places where such
a program can be found. They are, however, all in MSDOS directories. So I
suspect they won't do the job under Linux).

Ludo Vangilbergen
KU Leuven
Centre for Computational Linguistics
Maria Theresiastraat 21
B-3000 Leuven
Tel: ++32/16/28.50.94

1. Help-PC likes linux so much won't run DOS

Hi.  My PC has developed an unusual problem, prbobably hardware
related but I had a few questions that might help isolate it.

The problem is that whenever I boot MS-DOS the system will freeze up
at seemingly random intervals-- sometimes during a directory, sometimes
at the "Enter new time prompt", sometimes in programs.  A virus scan showed
it to be clean, and this occurs for the system on the HD (I only have 5.0) +
several boot disks (all that I tried, including a borrowed 6.2).  It seems
like a major hardware problem.

The wierd part is that I run linux all the time with no such problems.  (I
currently am running 0.99 something, keep telling myself I should upgrade
but lazy).  I even run dosemu from linux (version 0.50 I believe) with no
problems other than speed (and a few problems with certain games which I
suspect are emulation problems-- rather regular and immediate).

For completeness, the system is an aging Zeos 386SX 16MHz, 12Meg RAM, and
340Meg Maxtor HD split btwn DOS and linux.

My general impression was that linux is a tougher test of hardware than
DOS, so this problem seems baffling.  The most sensible solution I can see
is a problem with the BIOS.  I just wanted to check a few "facts" before
considering finding new BIOS chips (assuming its possible, a AMI-386 cw 1989),

1) Linux does not use any BIOS routines except perhaps in early stages of
booting, rest of the stuff is handled by kernel, etc?
(An aside, my PC on rare occasions locks up on reboot, a ctrl-alt-del will
get it going though)

2) DOSEMU dos not use BIOS at all (DOSEMU uses linux kernel to emulate them)?

If anyone could verify the above "facts", or if anyone has any suggestions
brilliant or otherwise as to what the problem might be (or where to get
some 386 BIOSes cheap), I'd be grateful.  Until then, my PC is a linux-only
box (not too bad a loss, but miss a few games).

                                Thanks,
                                Tom Payerle

2. Win32/Linux Drive sharing

3. Mouse Likes DOS but hates Linux

4. Are Power2 and PowerPC executables compatible?

5. Does cscope (or something like it) exist?

6. cdchanger/tkchanger 1.0 - IDE CD changer device control, with Tk interface

7. UART PROXY. Does something like this exist?

8. hardware recommendations

9. Does there exist something like intelligent "lpr"?

10. Am I doing something wrong?? - (SAMBA)

11. How do I get 'w' to say that i am doing something else

12. I know I'm doing SOMETHING stupid

13. Can this be done with one instance of sed (or something else)?