X11R6 Colors S3 Bad!

Post by Pink » Mon, 19 Dec 1994 22:00:36

I have a problem with the colors in X, fvwm menus are not displaying right
(the "3d" shading is wrong, the "flat" part is white, the top shade is
white, and the bottom shade is black, they should all be varing shades of
grey), I am using the same fvwmrc as I used to when they worked (I got a
new card and installed X11R6).  Also, the Athena 3d widgets are not displaying
right, their shading consists of a pattern of black and white pixels instead
of the grey pixels that they should be using, making them even uglyer than
the original Athena widgets.  If, after starting X, I run a program like
xcolors or xcmap there are only about 14 or 15 non black colors displayed,
if I start xview or something that wants more colors then the rest of the
256 colors will be defined but things such as fvwm are still the same.
Its as if some programs think that they are in a 2 color mode (is that
supported in X?) and don't even bother asking for anything other than
black and white!  I tried installing X11R5 again and it was the same way
so apparently it is an S3 thing.  I have a VLB S3 805 and have tried a
couple of XF86_S3 s, including the patched one at sunsite and quite
a few different configs, nothing seems to change it!  Any ideas??????

Thanks