Term+smail does not queue mail??

Post by e.. » Wed, 18 May 1994 06:01:51

I have term115 and smail installed. When I have the
term connection up and do a tredir 25 25, mail works
fine.  I can send mail out over the term connection.
However, without the term connection it fails:

... failed: (ERR_14 8) transport termsmtp: connect: Connection refused

It fails in the sense mail is returned to the sender
rather than being queued.

This is really annoying. I should be able to write up
all my mail and then call up and do a  runq to send all
the queued mail, which is also  how it is alluded in the
Term.HOWTO.

It seems that somewhere in the smail jungle something
has to be set but where and what?

ismail

Post by Bill Reynol » Wed, 18 May 1994 11:20:37

   I have term115 and smail installed. When I have the
   term connection up and do a tredir 25 25, mail works
   fine.  I can send mail out over the term connection.
   However, without the term connection it fails:

   ... failed: (ERR_14 8) transport termsmtp: connect: Connection refused

   It fails in the sense mail is returned to the sender
   rather than being queued.

   This is really annoying. I should be able to write up
   all my mail and then call up and do a  runq to send all
   the queued mail, which is also  how it is alluded in the
   Term.HOWTO.

   It seems that somewhere in the smail jungle something
   has to be set but where and what?

I think the variable you're interested in is ``defer_no_connect''. It
should be set by default, but if it's unset (i.e. -defer_no_connect in
your term transport), smail won't queue mail after failed connections.
This is a good question, and if this is the right answer, I'll add it
to the next rev of the HOWTO. Could you confirm for me whether this is
right or not?

Post by Byron A Je » Fri, 20 May 1994 13:31:12

>>   However, without the term connection it [sending mail] fails:
>I think the variable you're interested in is ``defer_no_connect''. It
>should be set by default, but if it's unset (i.e. -defer_no_connect in
>your term transport), smail won't queue mail after failed connections.
>This is a good question, and if this is the right answer, I'll add it
>to the next rev of the HOWTO. Could you confirm for me whether this is
>right or not?

Nope. Just tested it. Bounced back like a * superball!

When I was testing this the first time I got it to queue up because there
was no smarthost set up. But ever since I just get a bounce.

This is important because I'd like to put this info in the mailerd+smail
package so that you can write mail anytime and have it queued until the
term link is up again.

BAJ
---
Another random extraction from the mental bit stream of...
Byron A. Jeff - PhD student operating in parallel!

Post by Byron A Je » Fri, 20 May 1994 21:34:11

>However, without the term connection it [mail delivery] fails:

>It seems that somewhere in the smail jungle something
>has to be set but where and what?

Well I've found a workaround for this. If you set the delivery_mode=queued
in the smail config file then all mail will be queued. The runq command
will deliver. The runq command also seems to sit tight if the link is down
(i.e. mail stays in the queue and is not returned to sender).

So by setting the delivery mode and adding a runq command in the crontab
one should be able to send mail all the time and it'll be delivered when
the term link is up. Probably also a good idea to run the runq command when
the term link first comes up so that all the queued mail can be delivered.
My tredir 25 25 is started automatically in my kermit script. I plan to
add a runq after that. Also a good idea to runq before you shut the link
link down.

Another idea of mine is to have two smail configs: one active and one queued.
Link the active one while the term link is up so that mail is delivered
immediately. When the term link shuts down link the queued one so that mail is
queued. Then you won't need the cron runq: just run it once on startup because
all mail while term is active will be delievered immediately.

Will test and report.

Later,

BAJ
---
Another random extraction from the mental bit stream of...
Byron A. Jeff - PhD student operating in parallel!

Term+smail does not queue mail??

Post by Dan Swartzendrub » Fri, 20 May 1994 22:36:50

I was told that the smail shipped with Linux (at least with Slackware)
doesn't do retries correctly, since it wasn't configured with any retry
file locking support.  I fixed it and rebuilt/reinstalled and it seems
to work for me now.

--

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Dan S.

1. Getting smail+term to queue mail

I have smail+term configured so mail is sent fine while port 25 is
redirected to a remote machine. But, whenever I send mail while term is not
running, the mail is immediately bounced back to me with a header saying
that the smtp connection failed.  Does anyone know how to set up smail to
hold onto mail a few days before bouncing it back to the sender?

Thanks

2. aix 4.3.1 - disk space

3. How to make smail to queue mail ?

4. Satan connection error

5. Q: I'd like smail to queue outgoing mails.

6. Scanner (TWAIN?) support (x86 2.5.1)

7. Help smail/smail+term problems

8. Write messg to Console

9. Mails do not get removed from Mail Queue

10. smail+term >> transport smtp: IP address for localhost not found

11. POLL: comp.mail.smail [reference to news.groups,comp.mail.misc]

12. TERM: best way to send/receive mail over term?