No Dial Tone

Post by Dipesh Meh » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 14:08:40

Hi,

I have been using Linux (Mandrake 8.0)  and Motorola SM56 Winmodem.  I
have installed suitable driver provided by Motorola.  But when I try
to connect my ISP I get "No Dialtone" Error.

Is there anything which windows provides like: "Wait for dialtone
before dialing" ?

Please Note:  I have an epabx installed for my telephone network and I
have to dial 0 first to access outside line.

Dipesh

No Dial Tone

Post by Telefanat » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 10:47:37

Quote:> I have been using Linux (Mandrake 8.0)  and Motorola SM56 Winmodem.  I
> have installed suitable driver provided by Motorola.  But when I try
> to connect my ISP I get "No Dialtone" Error.

> Is there anything which windows provides like: "Wait for dialtone
> before dialing" ?

> Please Note:  I have an epabx installed for my telephone network and I
> have to dial 0 first to access outside line.

OK, assuming your using a modem that works with Linux, and have the
correct drivers installed, then here are some suggestions on what
might be wrong.

1. You claim that you have a epabx installed and have to dial 0 to
access and outside line, right? Well, if the modem is connected to a
digital line such as a PBX, the modem will most likely not work and
may become damaged. Only use an analog modem with an analog telephone
line.

2. If your telephone line/network is not digital, then the modem could
be possibly damaged from a lightning strike. Lightning strikes are
known to cause the problem you're having.

Hope this helps.

No Dial Tone

Post by Dipesh Meh » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 15:19:57

> OK, assuming your using a modem that works with Linux, and have the
> correct drivers installed, then here are some suggestions on what
> might be wrong.

> 1. You claim that you have a epabx installed and have to dial 0 to
> access and outside line, right? Well, if the modem is connected to a
> digital line such as a PBX, the modem will most likely not work and
> may become damaged. Only use an analog modem with an analog telephone
> line.

> 2. If your telephone line/network is not digital, then the modem could
> be possibly damaged from a lightning strike. Lightning strikes are
> known to cause the problem you're having.

> Hope this helps.

Thanks...

1.  My telephone line/network is analog only.

2.  I have been able to dial using the same h/w configuration through Windows98.

1. How to stop modem dialling when no dial-tone present

I am using Solaris 2.4 PPP to connect via a Zoom modem to my local ISP (Demon)

It works fine, except it will dial whether there is a dial tone or not (upsets the wife!)

So can someone give me a clue how to alter which /etc/uucp files or whatever, so the
dial will wait (ideally) or abort if there is no initial dial tone present.  (I understand
the version of UUCP on Solaris 2.4 is BNU/HoneyDanBer)
                                                Thanx - David:)

2. Some strange with Solaris 2.5 x86

3. how to set " modem don't wait for dial tone before dialing "

4. yppasswd won't load.

5. Disabling dial tone detection

6. Analyze the root disk?

7. HELP -- bad dial tone

8. Maximum Number of sockets in one process ?

9. tell modem "not to wait for dial tone"?

10. Wisecom modem: no dial tone

11. waiting for dial tone

12. can't get dial tone on modem

13. US modem in UK machine says "NO DIAL TONE"