Multiple Operating Systems w/ Boot Manager (OS/2 2.1) [partition NIGHTMARE]

Multiple Operating Systems w/ Boot Manager (OS/2 2.1) [partition NIGHTMARE]

Post by Joe Fisch » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: I seem to be in a bit of a dilemma.

: I have 3 drives: hd #1 - 125 meg partitioned in 1 drive as C:
:                hd #2 - 340 meg partitioned in 1 drive as d:
:                hd #3 - 1600 meg partitioned in 1 drive (510 meg) as e:
:                       *1100 some megabytes totally free
:                       *this drive is on the second eide channel

: I recently purchased a 1.6 gig for my computer (greaty overdue). Now,
: with all this extra disk space, I can install some new operating systems.
: Big problem. How do operating systems handle booting when there are
: several of them? Now I have some choices.. uh.. make that like one
: choice: OS/2 Boot Manager from v2.1.

: I intend to install Linux, OS/2 v2.1 and Windows 95 upon my system which
: already has Dos 6.22 and Windows 3.1. Now, using Boot Manager, is it
: possible to load all 4 different configurations?

: Perhaps you may have a similiar configuration. I would greatly appreciate
: any and all insight that you can provide for me, because I don't feel
: like jumping head-first into murky waters. Thank you in advance.

: .. sorry if I overly cross-posted, I tried to keep it to just a few
: newsgroups.

: -me

  It is not a big deal using OS/2's boot manager to boot DOS/Windoze
operating systems--I have no idea about Win 95.  As far as Linux, there
may be some problems with a disk on the second IDE interface, but I use
OS/2 to select Linux on a separate partition where LILO lies in wait.
There is a LILO faq and some other docs on LILO that come with (at least
Slackware) distributions.  They are also at sunsite and its mirrors.
Get them, read them, understand them.  It will help a lot.

--
Joe Fischer                                          Galena, Ohio, USA
  WB8TDO                                               (central Ohio)

1. redhat 2.1 and OS/2 boot manager

Hey,

I created two logical partitions under os/2.  loaded linux (redhat 2.1)
installed packages I required. set LILO.  I told the setup manager to
place LILO in the superblock of the root partition.  I rebooted
went into OS/2 ran fdisk and placed linux in the boot manager menu.
I again rebooted, Boot manager came up, displaying DOS, OS/2 and LINUX.
I selected Linux and got the message that the partition could not be
recognized.

What gives?  Will I be forced to reinstall?

Help appreciated.

Brian

2. ppp0, eth0 & eth1 ROUTING troubles?

3. boot manager for multiple OS (XP and FreeBSD) on multiple drives

4. Finding filename from inode

5. Partition Software - Partition Magic, Bootit, Boot Manager or Ranish Partition Manager

6. Subject: Error Messages

7. Was -- ("compiling kde2.2.1 == nightmare, redhat and kde updating == nightmare")

8. How to disable .rhosts

9. Partition Software - Partition Magic, Bootit, Boot Manager or Ranish Partition Manager

10. compiling kde2.2.1 == nightmare, redhat and kde updating == nightmare

11. Changing BSD partition to boot with Boot Manager (OS/2)

12. Solaris and Win 95 on the same system booting using OS/2 boot manager

13. Booting Multiple Operating Systems