Award Modular BIOS and 3COM 509B ethernet card problems??

Award Modular BIOS and 3COM 509B ethernet card problems??

Post by Wig » Wed, 15 Mar 1995 18:14:15

I have a Pentium 100 motherboard based on the SiS chipset from System
Dynamics Group and it has the "Award Modular BIOS" (whatever that is).

Anyways does anybody know why this BIOS seems to interfere with Linux
detecting my 3Com ethernet board?  I have a 509B card and when I start the
machine the bios says...

Initializing Plug and Play cards...
3Com 3c509B etherlink III card

and then it goes on to boot normally.  When LILO boots my kernel (which
does have the 3com 509 driver compiled in) it just seems to skip the
ethernet test for the 3Com board and I don't get my 509 recognized.

However... If I reboot, use <DEL> to enter the BIOS and simply go into a
menu page and then exit the BIOS setup without saving it just says...

Initializing Plug and Play cards...

and this time the plug and play initializer doesn't say anything about the
etherlink III board and when linux comes up everything is fine.

Please tell me what is going on here and how I can fix it.

Thank you,

- Jeff Wiegley

Post by Ed Wrig » Fri, 17 Mar 1995 22:16:52

>I have a Pentium 100 motherboard based on the SiS chipset from System
>Dynamics Group and it has the "Award Modular BIOS" (whatever that is).

>Anyways does anybody know why this BIOS seems to interfere with Linux
>detecting my 3Com ethernet board?  I have a 509B card and when I start the
>machine the bios says...

>Initializing Plug and Play cards...
>3Com 3c509B etherlink III card

>and then it goes on to boot normally.  When LILO boots my kernel (which
>does have the 3com 509 driver compiled in) it just seems to skip the
>ethernet test for the 3Com board and I don't get my 509 recognized.

>However... If I reboot, use <DEL> to enter the BIOS and simply go into a
>menu page and then exit the BIOS setup without saving it just says...

>Initializing Plug and Play cards...

>and this time the plug and play initializer doesn't say anything about the
>etherlink III board and when linux comes up everything is fine.

>Please tell me what is going on here and how I can fix it.

>Thank you,

>- Jeff Wiegley

Take this with a grain of salt, far from expert opion.
I seem to remember having a choice about plug & play, when doing the
initial install under DOS.  It seemed to me that I DID NOT WANT IT if I
was going to use Linux.  I'll bet you can still turn it off, look in
the manual, or DOS setup software.

My personal opinion, NO WARRANTY of ANY KIND. Your milage may vary.