Linux on Gateway P4D-66?

Post by Dave Si » Wed, 10 Aug 1994 10:01:46

I'm on the verge of buying a Gateway P4D-66 on which I want to run
Linux.  I've got some nagging concerns about compatibility, though.

I'd love to hear from someone that's actually got Linux (esp. with
XFree86) running on this box.

Some specific concerns:

1) Video board.  The standard board for this machine is an STB.  I
want to be able to go up to 1280x1024, so I'm looking at the upgrade
board: an ATI GX64 w/2MB.  I understand there's an alpha X server
for this board.  How well does it work?  Is there any chance it won't
be supported through a full release?  I.e., no Diamond/Matrox-like
problems with obtaining technical details?

2) CD-ROM drive.  Gateway's CD's are usually IDE-attached, and they
sell various models.  What do I need to do to insure that Linux will
be able to use the CD, if I can?

Here's my proposed configuration.  Holler if you see any boo-boos
or things you'd recommend changing.

        P4D-66 (66MHz, PCI)
        16 MB RAM
        2x CD-ROM
        Gateway-supplied ATI GX64 w/2MB
        720 MB IDE disk
        IDEK 8617 monitor
        Telepath II modem
        PAS 16 or SB 16 sound card

--

Martin Marietta Energy Systems, Workstation Support
URL http://www.dec.com/pub/DEC/DECinfo/html/dsill.html

Linux on Gateway P4D-66?

Post by Neil Wils » Thu, 11 Aug 1994 23:32:26

: I'm on the verge of buying a Gateway P4D-66 on which I want to run
: Linux.  I've got some nagging concerns about compatibility, though.

: I'd love to hear from someone that's actually got Linux (esp. with
: XFree86) running on this box.

I have Linux working on a P4D-33, with the standard STB video card. The
NEC IDE CDROM is inaccessible, as it is from everything except DOS
based systems.

Xfree runs like a dream in 1024-768 mode. The virtual screen won't go
any higher due to lack of memory on my card. If you have 2Mb on your
card you shouldn't have any problems.

Regards
--

Booth & Co., PO Box 8, Leeds, LS1 1HQ, UK
        ...Arrive without travelling, see all without looking...