Segmentation Fault - what exactly does it mean?

Segmentation Fault - what exactly does it mean?

Post by William Safl » Wed, 14 Sep 1994 02:16:00

Okay, so I'm showing my ignorance, but I have run into this a couple of times
and want to know.  What exactly does segmentation fault mean?  Does it
indicate a software problem? A hardware problem?  Please reply by mail......

Thanks,

William Safley

Post by jon marcus madis » Thu, 15 Sep 1994 04:45:49

>Okay, so I'm showing my ignorance, but I have run into this a couple of times
>and want to know.  What exactly does segmentation fault mean?  Does it
>indicate a software problem? A hardware problem?  Please reply by mail......

just something about a program trying to access memory where it shouldn't...
it's a software thing..

hope that wasn't too technical. :)

Quote:>Thanks,

>William Safley

jon
--
jon madison
oit consultant in training

Post by Chris Pa » Sun, 18 Sep 1994 05:11:02

> Okay, so I'm showing my ignorance, but I have run into this a couple of times
> and want to know.  What exactly does segmentation fault mean?  Does it
> indicate a software problem? A hardware problem?  Please reply by mail......

> Thanks,

> William Safley

A Segmentation Fault means that the program running probobly tried to
write to a part of memory it did not haver permissions to. This happens in
segmented Architecture Computers (Like PC's).

The Program that caused the dump probobly has a pointer in it that is no
initialized correctly or is pointing somewhere it shouldn't.

Many times you will also get a "core dumped" Message Following the
Segmentation Fault message. This core dump is a file that represents the
state of the system right before the fault. You can view it using dbx and
trace the ofending program.

1. Just what exactly IS a segmentation fault???

I'm trying to eliminate a problem with regular, yet inconsistent,
segmentation faults. It would help to know precisely what is a
segmentation fault. Not having much C programming background I'm not too
sure what this means. Is it a specific, useful piece of information? Or
is a segmentation fault a generic term for a program crash? I'm not
finding any helpful info on Google (that's a first). Anyone have any
clues?

2. What Linux distibutions have SNMP agents and daemons bundled?

3. What exactly is a segmentation fault?

4. telnetting

5. What does "segmentation fault" mean?

6. can't boot with EtherExpress PRO/10+

7. segmentation fault (core dumped): What does this really mean?

8. Which are your favorite linux apps and games?

9. Segmentation Fault - what means this ? :-)

10. Segmentation fault - what does it mean?

11. What does "segmentation fault" mean?

12. Segmentation faults while doing LS

13. Compiling *** VIM 5.3 *** Segmentation Fault..what is Seg-Fault..MEM Bounds?