A good video card, VLB, and other Linux purchases...

A good video card, VLB, and other Linux purchases...

Post by Damian Fra » Sat, 30 Apr 1994 12:14:48

I've been running Linux for a while, and really like it, but I want a better
system for it.

Right now, I have an old (!) 486DX-50, an old 32k et4000 card, and a low end
ide controller with a couple of high end and mostly irreplacable ide drives.
Oh yeah, and I've got 8 megs of simms, 70 NS I believe.

What I'd LIKE to do is get a new 50mHz VLB motherboard and throw my current
processor into it, as well as the ram and drives.  I'd also like to get a
new video card and controller for the drives.

My problems are these...

First, is VLB worth it, and if so, can anyone recommend a nice VLB
motherboard from somewhere?  (This really isn't a problem;  I can read.  I
REALLy want to know if it's worth it, esp. for 50 mHz..)

Second, can anyone recommend a nice, fast VLB svga card that runs nicely
under svgalib and xfree86?  (this one's important.  Gotta be at least
hicolor.  Windows drivers are strictly optional.  :>)

Third, I need a hard drive controller.  Is it worth it to get a VLB IDE
controller, non-caching?  Whether or not, I've already got cool i/o
separate.  Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced IDE controller (VLB,
probably) that either has NO I/O or on which it can be disabled?  (Floppies,
while not often used, are necessary, I guess).

Thanks.

Damian
Damian Frank      "Each man must for himself alone decide what is right and

                   You cannot shirk this and be a man."   -Mark Twain

1. Good VLB Video card Recommendation

Hi,
        I'm looking to get a new video card,a low cost
replacement for my current cheap Trident. I'm looking
at #9 330/531, an ATI Xpression or even a Diamond Stealth.
I was wondering what people's thoughts/experiences with
these card (or any other cool one) were. I'm looking at
the 2Meg versions.

Thanks,
        Paul

2. how to make my box access the LAN printer?

3. How good/bad is a cirrus logic 5424 VLB 1MB video card?

4. DJ-20 connected to FC-20 controller

5. Good video (3D & video input) card for Linux

6. compilation fix for 2.4.21-pre7

7. Linux compatible video card purchase suggestions?

8. How to ask GL whether the server is there

9. Paradise VLB WD90C31 card: What is the video card?

10. Ping==nfs==good, telnet+others!=good

11. Using Linux with a Diamond Viper VLB video card?