Unable to connect....

Post by Poiso » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 07:12:23

I have been experiencing some problems with my new linux server, and past
experience has lead me to believe that the help I need may be found here.

I leave my server on 24/7 and it seems to work fine, however, during the
night, around 1:00am or so, friends of mine who attempt to log into the
server have been unsuccessful.  They have tried everything such as FTP, ssh,
and even ping doesn't work.  With each one of these the result is the same,
a timeout error.  I don't understand why my machine cannot even be pinged
???  I haven't ruled out the possiblity that it is my internet connection
going down at night, however, I have never experienced down time like this
ever before.... I haven't had the time to check what is actually happening
overnight, but I thought I may be able to find some answers here....

Thanks for any help...

Poison

Unable to connect....

Post by Matt Prosse » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 20:12:13

Check in you system bios to see if the machine is set to sleep after so many
minutes of none use and then disable it.   I had a problem like this on my
work server.

Matt

Quote:> I have been experiencing some problems with my new linux server, and past
> experience has lead me to believe that the help I need may be found here.

> I leave my server on 24/7 and it seems to work fine, however, during the
> night, around 1:00am or so, friends of mine who attempt to log into the
> server have been unsuccessful.  They have tried everything such as FTP,
ssh,
> and even ping doesn't work.  With each one of these the result is the
same,
> a timeout error.  I don't understand why my machine cannot even be pinged
> ???  I haven't ruled out the possiblity that it is my internet connection
> going down at night, however, I have never experienced down time like this
> ever before.... I haven't had the time to check what is actually happening
> overnight, but I thought I may be able to find some answers here....

> Thanks for any help...

> Poison

1. Unable to connect to X server (errno = 111)

Has anyone ever seen the following when trying to start X after a fresh
install?

TRANS(SocketUNIXConnect) () can't connect: errno = 111
giving up.
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

When I use startx, the screen goes black, then when I switch from one
terminal to another and back, I can see that message, there is also messages
like:
(--) SVGA: Mode "1024x768" needs hsync freq of 56.48 kHz. Deleted.
(--) SVGA: Mode "1280x1024" needs hsync freq of 51.02 kHz. Deleted.

These are all high resolution, no 640x480 type stuff.  I'm at sort of a loss
on this because I've installed X on several machines before and never run
into anything worse than some minor problems with the XF86Config.

System Description:
AMD 5x86 133 processor
Genoa Phantom 64 1 meg ram
Gateway 2000 vivitron 15" monitor
20 meg ram
Ms Mouse
3Com 509 Ethernet card
Slackware 3.1  Linux 2.0.0  (Retrieved about August 12, almost directly
                             after the release)

Thanks!
  Phil
--

Stop businesses from taking your money and running!
The Complaint Desk http://flipside.ucs.bsu.edu/pshaffer/html/complaint.html

2. Smooth animation & scheduling?

3. lynx is unable to connect

4. Solaris Disk Suite Sybase (Experiences ?)

5. Unable to connect to server errors

6. Can mono xterm support ANSI?

7. unable to connect to X server

8. Auto-killing connections when changing IP?

9. Help 5.0.4 Faststart server unable to connect to manager

10. FileZilla: SFTP "unable to connect"; FTP can't CD above homedir

11. Unable to connect to some host, while other box does

12. unable to connect to X server

13. Unable to Connect to SWAT Using Browser