RH 7.2 and 2 GB RAM?

Post by To » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 08:40:34

Hello Linux Gurus,

Sorry if my post is inappropriate for these groups. If there are more
appropriate ones, feel free to flame me in the right direction.

Just some general questions:

I'm running a Dell 8100 1.5 GHz Pentium RH 7.2 and 2 GB RAM.

Can one just upgrade using the "stock" RH kernel update RPM's for 2 GB
RAM?

If not...

What kind of problems might I encounter?

Would it be necessary to rebuild the kernel to support 2 GB RAM?

Can one apply the kernel-bigmem updates instead of a kernel rebuild?

Many thanks and my first-born :-) to all in advance,
Tom

RH 7.2 and 2 GB RAM?

Post by Kasper Dupon » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 08:47:33

> Hello Linux Gurus,

> Sorry if my post is inappropriate for these groups. If there are more
> appropriate ones, feel free to flame me in the right direction.

> Just some general questions:

> I'm running a Dell 8100 1.5 GHz Pentium RH 7.2 and 2 GB RAM.

> Can one just upgrade using the "stock" RH kernel update RPM's for 2 GB
> RAM?

The kernel-bigmem rpm package should be suitable for a system with
that amount of memory.

Quote:

> If not...

> What kind of problems might I encounter?

If you use a kernel without bigmem support, it will just not use
all of your physical memory.

Quote:

> Would it be necessary to rebuild the kernel to support 2 GB RAM?

You should have a kernel, that has the support already. Otherwise
a rebuild is necesarry.

Quote:

> Can one apply the kernel-bigmem updates instead of a kernel rebuild?

Are you talking about a kernel patch, or a different rpm package?
It is possible to install the kernel and the kernel-bigmem packages
side by side. At each boot you will be able to choose between the
two.

Quote:

> Many thanks and my first-born :-) to all in advance,

Ehrm, no thanks.

Quote:> Tom

It is NOT portable (Linus Benedict Torvalds 1991)

RH 7.2 and 2 GB RAM?