XF86-3.1 XConfig Needed for Diamond VLB and NEC 3FGe

XF86-3.1 XConfig Needed for Diamond VLB and NEC 3FGe

Post by Frank K. Mill » Sun, 13 Nov 1994 02:18:06

If anyone has an XConfig file for XF86-3.1, with a Diamond Viper
VLB (2 meg) and a NEC 3FGe could you please post it or email me.

I also would appreciate any info on a NEC 3FGe (not in Monitors file).
All I have is the owners manual, and I am inexperienced with configing
LINUX XF86.  I am doing my best to RYFM and understand the topic.

A thousand bug-free compiles to any person who can help!

F. Kelly Miller
EDS/Cadillac World Headquarters
Building 2-6, Second Floor
P.O. Box 9025
Warren MI 48090-9025

(810)-492-4736

XF86-3.1 XConfig Needed for Diamond VLB and NEC 3FGe

Post by Eric Fowke » Fri, 18 Nov 1994 03:25:09

Quote:> If anyone has an XConfig file for XF86-3.1, with a Diamond Viper
> VLB (2 meg) and a NEC 3FGe could you please post it or email me.

> I also would appreciate any info on a NEC 3FGe (not in Monitors file).
> All I have is the owners manual, and I am inexperienced with configing
> LINUX XF86.  I am doing my best to RYFM and understand the topic.

While I can't help you, I DO need the same help!  I have a Diamond Viper
VLB with a MAG MX15F and I can't get my Viper to work!!  If you find out
anything or anyone can also help me out I would appreciate it.

Eric

Post by Walter D. Vaughan Jr » Fri, 18 Nov 1994 23:33:52

> > If anyone has an XConfig file for XF86-3.1, with a Diamond Viper
> > VLB (2 meg) and a NEC 3FGe could you please post it or email me.
> While I can't help you, I DO need the same help!  I have a Diamond Viper

If you would have RFTM on the FAQ's you would have seen that under
no circumstances will Diamond cards ever work with Linux X windows.
They refuse to allow information to the programmers. This is very
clearly stated. Get you money back or live with either frying the
card with an incorrect setup.

Post by Eric Fowke » Sat, 19 Nov 1994 04:25:29

> > > If anyone has an XConfig file for XF86-3.1, with a Diamond Viper
> > > VLB (2 meg) and a NEC 3FGe could you please post it or email me.
> > While I can't help you, I DO need the same help!  I have a Diamond Viper

> If you would have RFTM on the FAQ's you would have seen that under
> no circumstances will Diamond cards ever work with Linux X windows.
> They refuse to allow information to the programmers. This is very
> clearly stated. Get you money back or live with either frying the
> card with an incorrect setup.

Pardon me for ruining your high and mighty day but I believe there is
abundant info on running the Diamond Viper with XFree86 3.1.  At least
from what I've read and been told.  There are a number of people who do
just that.  I am attempting it and have gotten quite far although I still
have an unrelated problem with my mouse.

Instead of flaming the poor guy and giving him a hard time why not just
stay quiet or at least point him to the many Diamond and Viper docs on
sunsite.unc.edu.  I have gotten a lot of help in the dc.linux group on
just this problem.

Eric

Post by David Herbe » Sat, 19 Nov 1994 06:28:53

>> > If anyone has an XConfig file for XF86-3.1, with a Diamond Viper
>> > VLB (2 meg) and a NEC 3FGe could you please post it or email me.
>> While I can't help you, I DO need the same help!  I have a Diamond Viper
>If you would have RFTM on the FAQ's you would have seen that under
>no circumstances will Diamond cards ever work with Linux X windows.
>They refuse to allow information to the programmers. This is very
>clearly stated. Get you money back or live with either frying the
>card with an incorrect setup.

You're wrong here - XF86-3.1 supports my Diamond Stealth 64 VLB quite
nicely. In a README file supplied with the XF863.1 distribution I
recall it was stated that Diamond *will* disclose info to the XFree
consortium (this was dated as of late September).. don't know when
though...

-David

 \   \_  \_ \_  \_ \_  \_  \_  \_  \_  \ David Herbert, PhD Student     \
  \   \_  \_ \_\_\_ \_  \_  \_  \_  \_  \ Department of Computer Science \
   \   \_\_   \_  \_   \_    \_  \_\_    \ University of Tasmania         \