ConfigXF86 in Slackware Pro 2.1 dies

Post by jim heffer » Sat, 31 Dec 1994 04:20:42

I've just installed Slackware Pro 2.1.  I am trying to run ConfigXF86.
I select the right chip (CL..26) and the standard monitor, then it
generates an
XConfig file, then it asks me to tune.  I say yes to that, and then it
warns me the screen may flicker after I press Enter, and I press Enter.
At that point the script dies.  This is written on the screen:
cat: /tmp/877.tmnu: No such file or directory
although a similar message with an ending .tag and a proclimation
ConfigXF86: appears before it if I capture the standard error.

I've perused the script, and I have to admit I'm clueless.  /tmp has
stuff in it, and I am running as root, so I don't think it is some
permission thing (I've checked the permissions, and they seem fine; at
any rate they are the ones Slackware set up).  I've used teh script
before, on older installations, without any trouble.

I sure would appreciate any help.  Thanks.

Post by Roger C. P » Tue, 03 Jan 1995 17:45:18

>I've just installed Slackware Pro 2.1.  I am trying to run ConfigXF86.
>I select the right chip (CL..26) and the standard monitor, then it
>generates an
>XConfig file, then it asks me to tune.  I say yes to that, and then it
>warns me the screen may flicker after I press Enter, and I press Enter.
>At that point the script dies.  This is written on the screen:
>cat: /tmp/877.tmnu: No such file or directory
>although a similar message with an ending .tag and a proclimation
>ConfigXF86: appears before it if I capture the standard error.
>I've perused the script, and I have to admit I'm clueless.  /tmp has
>stuff in it, and I am running as root, so I don't think it is some
>permission thing (I've checked the permissions, and they seem fine; at
>any rate they are the ones Slackware set up).  I've used teh script
>before, on older installations, without any trouble.

I have the same problem.  I just told it to save without tuning.  I
manually readjusted everything.  I just needed to see how the file
looked like.  I don't see why it needs an XF86Config _and_ an Xconfig.
The Xconfig seems like it should be obsolete.

I was using Morse Telecommunication Slackware Pro 2.1.0 to get this
error.

rp95
--

Post by Bill Maghiel » Sun, 08 Jan 1995 03:57:36

: I've just installed Slackware Pro 2.1.  I am trying to run ConfigXF86.
: I select the right chip (CL..26) and the standard monitor, then it
: generates an
: XConfig file, then it asks me to tune.  I say yes to that, and then it
: warns me the screen may flicker after I press Enter, and I press Enter.
: At that point the script dies.  This is written on the screen:
: cat: /tmp/877.tmnu: No such file or directory
: although a similar message with an ending .tag and a proclimation
: ConfigXF86: appears before it if I capture the standard error.

I have the same problem so I decided to not tune and just save my two
config files .. Well I get some weird parse error when I try to save
them.  It successfully saves Xconfig wherever I want (it prompts for
a place) .. but it never generates a valid XF86Config file .. Even the
one left in the /tmp directory is junk .. It exists, but it is just an
empty file.

Bill

1. Errors installing Slackware Pro 2.1

Help, please, someone....
I recently purchased the Slackware Pro 2.1 edition, and attempting to
install it on a AMD 386DX-40, (with 16M ram, 1542B Adaptec SCSI
controller, a generic "all-in-one" ISA IDE, floppy, dual serial,
and parallel adapter card, with 2 disk drive - a single Ide and a single
SCSI and an EXTERNAL 3x Toshiba CD-ROM drive-with the source "diskette"
images).  I've attempted each and every boot image, ('loaded', 'scsi',
'scsinet', etc.) and the COLOR144 and UMSDS144 root file systems, my
problem is at RANDOM times throughout the install process I receive the
following message:
                        SEGMENTATION FAULT
Why, and what can I check/do to eliminate.  As I've said these primarily
occur during "setup", but I can cause it to occur at the root prompt by
simple typing 'ls -lFa'.....Arrrgh!!!

I've swapped external SCSI cables, eliminated the SCSI disk drive.  The
system was running OS/2 Warp and had been running OS/2 v 2.1, Ms-DOS,
and Windows Nt 3.1 Workstation WITHOUT any errors within the past year.
Additionally, I've actually seen screens of what appeared as program
code dump, i.e., register and code segment info.
Any sort of hint's etc. would be appreciated.  From what I've read about
the product, I hate to give up on it so soon.

2. What's the best way to tackle this issue?

3. HELP: slackware 2.1 pro on big scsi disks

4. 1. nfs udp checksum 2. change name of volgrp

5. COMMERCIAL: Slackware Pro 2.1 delay

6. REPOST: Backup options for SunOS 4 and 5

7. HELP: Slackware Pro 2.1 can't mount CDROM

8. mv is too smart

9. Slackware Pro 2.1 pppd not installed

10. install with scsinet & slackware 2.1 pro

11. Slackware Pro 2.1 & UMSDOS

12. Slackware Pro 2.1 Scratch/Dent Sale!

13. COMMERCIAL: Slackware Pro 2.1 corrections