Recommended red hat linux partition sizes?

Recommended red hat linux partition sizes?

Post by Sami » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 06:47:44

Hello,

I am about to put Red Hat 8 on a 10GB drive,

what are the ideal partition sizes to use?  I will be the only user of
the system, and it will be used primarily as a website, programming
and sql development machine (very small DB sizes).  Is it wise to set
a defined limit for the TMP partition to stop it eating into my free
space?  Any advice appreciated.

Recommended red hat linux partition sizes?

Post by Bill Marcu » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 22:18:53

On Sun, 02 Mar 2003 21:47:44 GMT, Samiad

> Hello,

> I am about to put Red Hat 8 on a 10GB drive,

> what are the ideal partition sizes to use?  I will be the only user of
> the system, and it will be used primarily as a website, programming
> and sql development machine (very small DB sizes).  Is it wise to set
> a defined limit for the TMP partition to stop it eating into my free
> space?  Any advice appreciated.

Make a swap partition twice the size of RAM or 256MB, whichever is less,
and use the rest as the root partition.

Recommended red hat linux partition sizes?

Post by Mike Deskevi » Wed, 05 Mar 2003 11:49:04

if you are the only user of the system, this is generally a good
idea...just make one big partition.  there are a couple of other
things that you may want to consider...you can put /home on a
different partition, this is useful if you choose to re-install to
upgrade (i prefer to install each version of an os new, rather than
using the upgrad option).  this way you can format the partition that
the os is installed on without using your data.

also, simple formulas like 'make swap 2 time ram or 256 whichever is
greater' are not good equations.  what you need to do is figure out
what you'll be running on the machine and make swap big enough to
handle all you'll be running.  if you have 2G of ram, there's no sence
in making 2G of swap.  if you have 32M ram, then you'll need a bunch
of swap.

mike

Post by bbunn » Fri, 07 Mar 2003 01:17:49

> Hello,

> I am about to put Red Hat 8 on a 10GB drive,

> what are the ideal partition sizes to use?  I will be the only user of
> the system, and it will be used primarily as a website, programming
> and sql development machine (very small DB sizes).  Is it wise to set
> a defined limit for the TMP partition to stop it eating into my free
> space?  Any advice appreciated.

hdX1    /boot   40MB
hdX2    swap    512MB
hdX3    /home   5GB
HDx4    /       what is left 4+GB

--
good luck
bbunny

Recommended red hat linux partition sizes?

Post by Joe Canu » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 08:22:10

Hi Mike,

I've a got 384MB RAM  and 15 gigabytes of hard drive space on a p3
planned to run a LAMPS (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP/SSL) server that needs
to dual boot with win98se (because I've only the one spare PC with the
single HDD). I'll be using Mandrake 9.0 . I need to use Win98se to run
old programs.

How big of a swap partition would you recommend?

I've also wondered about the very old advice of swap partition sized
to double your system ram up to the limit of 127 or 128 MB. I've been
searching the web and newsgroups for more current info (most web info
I've found is dated 1999 or 2000).

Thanks in advance - I'm trying to learn LAMPS.

> simple formulas like 'make swap 2 time ram or 256 whichever is
> greater' are not good equations.  what you need to do is figure out
> what you'll be running on the machine and make swap big enough to
> handle all you'll be running.  if you have 2G of ram, there's no sence
> in making 2G of swap.  if you have 32M ram, then you'll need a bunch
> of swap.

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. got Linux installed, but NO ROM BASIC SYSTEM HALTED

3. Red Hat 7.2 root partition size

4. VIA AC97 on a vt8233 controller... a disaster

5. Red Hat 7.1 and partition sizes

6. devFS daemon

7. Demonizing Red Hat (was: CodeWarrior for Red Hat Linux)

8. 1 * WyhySTuzk-NIS

9. Red Hat Linux for $50 at RedHat.Com vs. Red Hat from LSL

10. Sun, Red Hat To Offer Red Hat Linux On Sun Servers

11. Red Hat's Linux Application CD which ships with Red Hat Professional Server Version 7

12. Red Hat Linux 5.0 memory size problem

13. Recommended WLAN card for Red Hat 8?