Improve term response w/ 14.4K USR?

Post by John Saar » Sat, 07 May 1994 01:57:30

I finally got term running by using a termrc file give by Darb on IRC but
my response time is really bad. I would prefer to have a little slower
rate if the connection wasn't so jerky...ergo. it scrolls-stops-scrolls
sort of thing. I am using a US Robotics Sportster 14.4K PC/FAX

The connection succeeds with V32/LAPM/V42
Port rate= 38400-fixed with RTSCTS flow + compression and modem autobauding

The termrc file says the BAUDRATE=0   Is this right, it works?
I got a little better response when I set compression=off ...so I am just
using the modems own compression and I increased window=10 and set the
restransmit time=100(20ths of sec). Window size of 2 with timeout=50
caused the connection to fail. Window 3-6 with timeout 100-150 work also.

It seems that the modem transmit the data in blocks of 3.5K when using
error control...could this be a problem? I can't figure out how to reset
the modem for smaller data blocks?

Should I turn modem compression off and fix the baud at 9600 with the
serial port rate still at 38400...and use the term default, compress=on?

What I want to do is tredir a port to my machine (this works) so mutiple
internet users can access a game client/server. The game is text based
but competition at game updates can be fierce.

Would it help if I changed the default priority values of the clients to
favor the tredir?

Post by R. Stewart Ell » Mon, 09 May 1994 04:00:46

 >I finally got term running by using a termrc file give by Darb on IRC but
 >my response time is really bad. I would prefer to have a little slower
 >rate if the connection wasn't so jerky...ergo. it scrolls-stops-scrolls
 >sort of thing. I am using a US Robotics Sportster 14.4K PC/FAX

 >The connection succeeds with V32/LAPM/V42
 >Port rate= 38400-fixed with RTSCTS flow + compression and modem autobauding

 >The termrc file says the BAUDRATE=0   Is this right, it works?
 >I got a little better response when I set compression=off ...so I am just
 >using the modems own compression and I increased window=10 and set the
 >restransmit time=100(20ths of sec). Window size of 2 with timeout=50
 >caused the connection to fail. Window 3-6 with timeout 100-150 work also.

I am running a Sun SS1 GX at home with a USR Courier dialed into a Sun 4/690
Viking through a Xyplex terminal server with Motorola v.2932 modems.  I am
using port speeds of 38400 at the SS1 and the Xyplex and am set up for
rtscts flow control.  I do not have to escape any characters.  I get the
best performance over the term link with the baud in both termrc files set
to the link speed, with both v.32bis and term compression turned on, and
window set to 8 with timeout 150.  The main gotcha is that some of the term
utils do not properly check with each other or term and you have to make
sure that you do not run a term util with compression turned on over a term
link that is already set for compress.

--
  R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Assoc.Prof., (Off)313-762-9765   ___________________
  Humanities & Social Science,  GMI Eng.& Mgmt. Inst.    /   _____  ______

  Gopher,News and   modem  consultant, all around hack /________/ /  /  / /

1. Horrible response times over 14.4k PPP

I have been fighting with this problem for about a year now, and
I am mere inches from dropping Linux in favor of something like
NetBSD or FreeBSD (and I have been using Linux for a *long* time).
Can anyone out there offer some suggestions?

Here is my problem:  I am currently running PPP (via diald) over
a Bocamodem 14.4 (16550a UART).  In Windoze and Warp my interactive
(while I am typing at a prompt) response time is quite reasonable,
however under Linux 1.0.x - 1.2.x I get a 1+ second delay per keystroke.
The effect feels like it is due to compression, but is still occurs when I
turn compression off.  I have tried everything I can think of; I have
checked to make sure that Linux, Windoze, and Warp are all using
the same modem configuration strings.  I made sure I did a
'setserial /dev/modem spd_hi'.  I have tried SLIP.  I turned the
compression dictionary down to 6 characters. Nothing seems to help.

From what I can tell it seems to be a problem somewhere between the
Kernel and user-land (but I am not sure).  Anyone out there have
either suggestions on how to fix the problem, or to better diagnose it?

Thanks,
-scott

2. mounting remote dir

3. UUCP Configuration(USR 14.4k)-HELP!!!

4. ASCI art tool

5. external USR Sporster 14.4k fax/modem

6. Sun monitor - adjusting

7. USR 14.4k fax/modem

8. FAX server software ?

9. Need uucp Dialers info - USR Sportster 14.4k

10. USR Sportster 14.4k Internal

11. 2.4 -> 14.4k modem migration problems

12. -----X-WINDOWS OVER 14.4k LINE-----

13. SLIP problems: getting 9600 equivalent speed from 14.4k?