HELP - CD-ROM setup not seen by Linux

Post by Eric Whitwor » Sat, 18 Mar 1995 11:45:45

Greetings,

I am a newcomer to the realm of Linux.  I have purchased the Slackware
3 CD-ROM set & am trying to install it.  I have been able to setup my 2
hard drives a 519 megabyte Seagate and a 407 megabyte maxtor.  Maxtor
has 2 DOS partitions and 2 Linux partitions. (1 16 meg Linux swap
partition and 1 147meg Linux Native partition).
The seagate has 5 DOS partitions.  All seems to be OK here.  (Both IDE)
A special disk was supplied to set up Seagate to use all of the 545
million bytes, which it does.

I have created several boot & root disks needed for different CD-ROM
drives.  I have tried using 5 of these to no avail.  Linus goes in but
will not recognise my CDROM.  It is a Mitsumi model CRMC-FX-001 bought
back in Aug. 1993. It was a Creative Labs package which included the
soundblaster.  The card is a dual unit containing both the audio side of
things and also the controller for the drive.  It gives no problem with
DOS.  BTW its a single speed drive.

I have to get Linux to recognise this as I cannot load the filesystems
until I do because its all on those 3 CD's.  Now, I really don't know a
lot about the setup proceedures of Linux but I have to start somewhere &
I am really at a loss now at what to do.  I have read piles of docs & so
forth but can't really get the problem pinned down.

I REALLY NEED HELP URGENTLY.  Can any of you Linux gurus please advise
me what I may try.  Computer is 486SX 8 meg RAM (no local bus). Normal
A drive 3.5 1.44m & B 5.25 1.2m.

The boot disks I have created are: Mitsumi, SBPCD, Loaded, SCSI and
Old1118. As stated these have all be tried but it will not allow the CD
ROM to be recognised.  What am I doing wrong?

I am stuck fellas!  I have been fiddling with this for 3 days now & just
about ready to give up, so if you are able to help.......Thanks.
I am home most times so for Adelaide users my voice number is on the
.Sig line if you care to ring & talk.  Any & all help will be greatly
appreciated.            Eric W.

p.s. E-mail or newsgroup message - I login regularly on a weekly basis.

Telephone" +61-8-326-1679
Remember: Its Good to be Nice BUT Its Nice to be Good!  Have a Good Day.

HELP - CD-ROM setup not seen by Linux

Post by danbake » Mon, 20 Mar 1995 07:54:01

Eric,
Try this- When you boot from the Mitsumi floppy, at the boot: prompt, enter
ramdisk mcd=0x340,11 (or whatever your address and interrupt are). Then try
to run setup and install from CDROM. If this works, you can find the include
file mcd.h (in /usr/src/linux/include/linux, I think) and edit it so
the definitions for MCD_BASE_ADDR and MCD_INTR_NR reflect the proper values,
then recompile the kernel. After that, you should be able to access your
Mitsumi OK. The kernel tries to probe for the correct values, but doesn't
always get the job done. Also, you'll probably want to edit /etc/fstab and
add the line:
/dev/mcd        /cdrom       iso9660       ro,user,noauto

and make a directory called /cdrom. Then you can 'mount /cdrom' and
access the drive. Or leave out the noauto above and automount at boot time.

Hope this helps,

----
Dan Baker

----

Quote:> Greetings,

> I have created several boot & root disks needed for different CD-ROM
> drives.  I have tried using 5 of these to no avail.  Linus goes in but
> will not recognise my CDROM.  It is a Mitsumi model CRMC-FX-001
> The boot disks I have created are: Mitsumi, SBPCD, Loaded, SCSI and
> Old1118. As stated these have all be tried but it will not allow the CD
> ROM to be recognised.  What am I doing wrong?

1. CD-Rom not seen for install (HELP NEWBIE)

I am trying to install openserver 5.0.4 and can't get the CD-Rom to be
recognized during the install. I have an Adaptec AHA-2940 SCSI adapter
hooked to a Matshita PD-1 LF-1000 SCSI CD-Rom drive.

Here are the syptoms:

1. Turn on machine
2. Check adapter ID under adaptec setup, adapter at ID #7
3. Reboot
4. See adaptec BIOS test OK, cdrom at ID #4
5. Booting from image N00 from floppy
6. When kernel screen appears listing the device info I see the following
       adapter type=alad,id=7
       cdrom type=S,id=5
7. I press enter to begin install
8. When blue screen "Identifying intall media device" appears I see the
following
       SCSI adapter type:     alad, Adaptec 294x (7870 & 7880 chip)
       SCSI host adapter:     0
                         SCSI ID:     5
                     SCSI LUN:     0
                    SCSI BUS:      0
9. If I leave at default and try and load, I get message device not found
10. When I try to change just SCSI ID to 4, hard disk spins up and screen
telling me CD not found
11. When I try to change adapter ID to 7, only values 1 thru 4 are
available.

I need help as to what to do next. Please responf via post and email.

Thanks,
Todd

2. New xgames for 2.2.2/0.96c

3. HELP, please:SCSI NEC CD-ROM not seen for install

4. PPTP->ipchains->One-way cable modem???

5. Sanyo IDE CD-Rom not seen by linux

6. LyX for AIX

7. CD-ROM not detected by linux after CD-ROM install

8. DB library for Solaris 8

9. IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM and Que/CD-ROM setup

10. CD-ROM is not seen!

11. CD-ROM Drive not being seen

12. CD-ROM not reconized at setup. Help!!

13. CD-ROM not accessible after initial Linux setup???