upgrading to a newer kernel

Post by Christoph Kukuli » Mon, 23 Jan 1995 00:00:41

I installed Linux (Yggdrasil Summer 94 edition) after getting around
lots of quirks I had with that CD. Many errors during adding packages.
(The standard installation was broken somehow - I installed a custom
30 MB miniumum installation ).

Anyway, now it is running and I want to run a newer kernel
since my new motherboard is a PCI board (I don't have any PCI device
though) and it has IDE and SCSI (ncr) on board.

Unfortunately the kernel that came with the YGGDRASIL CD panics - it
cannot find any SCSI hosts. I also have an ATAPI IDE FX400 CDROM drive
which I hope Linux has a driver for.

Since I'm only a casual Linux user (as you may see from my .sig) I'm
looking for a painless way to

1)  ftp a kernel from somewhere (boot floppy)

2)  create a boot disk from that

3)  boot that disk, mount /dev/sda3 and put the kernel on it

4)  boot hard disk.

Can anyone help me with the above? Thank you.

Please answer via email since I don't read news too often.

FreeBSD blues 2.1.0-Development FreeBSD 2.1.0-Development #1:

1. Help upgrading kernel using newer version of libc

Hi...

        I wish to upgrade my kernel to ver 1.1.92.  Thus, I need to
        upgrade my gcc to ver 2.6.2 and my libc to ver 4.6.20+.

        I  have already installed my gcc 2.6.2 and awaiting to compile
        my new kernel.   But the libc-4.6.27.tar.gz contains only
        the source not the binary of libc.  I cannot continue to
        compile to make libc since the new gcc requires libc-4.6-XX.

        How do I proceed?  Any site that has a binary of any libc-4.6.XX?

        Thanks,
        Ren

2. SMC ETHEREZ PROBLEM

3. RPM and Upgrading to newer kernels and releases

4. How to map network device names to module names?

5. Kernel compression in newer Kernels?

6. SGI with Linux server

7. Upgrading SuSE 6.0 -> newer

8. Installation Partition

9. Upgrading to Newer X Windows problem

10. Upgrading 1.0.9 to a newer version

11. Upgrading to a newer release or snapshot from single-user mode?

12. Upgrading Redhat to newer version instead of a reinstall

13. Upgrade NATd from FBSD2.2.8 to newer ver