Help! I can't read manual pages!

Post by Andries Brouw » Mon, 21 Nov 1994 04:42:31

: The problem that I have is that every time I what to read
: a manual page I get this output:

: root-linux(2): man ls
: Formatting page.  Wait...groff: can't find `DESC' file
: groff:fatal error: invalid device `ascii'

Seems that you are using some version of mandb.
man-1.4b works fine with 1.1.64.

Help! I can't read manual pages!

Post by Juan Carlos Le » Mon, 21 Nov 1994 03:34:39

Hi Linux users! I'm having a little problem with my manual pages.  I'm
using the Yggdrasil Fall94 Plug n' Play Linux CD, and I've updated the
kernel 1.1.64  The problem that I have is that every time I what to read
a manual page I get this output:

root-linux(2): man ls
Formatting page.  Wait...groff: can't find `DESC' file
groff:fatal error: invalid device `ascii'
can't exec /bin//cp: Bad address
Could not cp temp file to new location.
root-linux(3):

This is the second time I installed Linux, the first time the manual pages
worked fine but I got a HD crash.  Then I reinstalled Linux and upgraded
to the lastest kernel just for the sake of being updated.  I've already
checked the errata file fron the yggdrasil ftp site but it doesn't mention
anything.  So i'd be very thankful if anybody can help me.

Oh. if I change to the directory where the actual manual file exists, I can
read the page by using man -l [page filename], but it's a real hassle to
look for the page first through the directories.

Juan
--

Major in Electrical Engineering, Computers
University of Southern California

:
: root-linux(2): man ls
: Formatting page.  Wait...groff: can't find `DESC' file
: groff:fatal error: invalid device `ascii'
: can't exec /bin//cp: Bad address
: Could not cp temp file to new location.
: root-linux(3):

Well, it looks like you're running some version of man_db.  1.1.64 broke
the /bin/cp bit, so that's where that's coming from.  Grab the latest
version off sunsite (2.2.1, I think ... the source package is 2.2 and the
patch to 2.2.1 fixes the bug) and compile it.

Dunno about the groff bit, though.  Dare I say ... YAYF94P? (1) (2)

-- Chris

       "... I wouldn't recommend Yggdrasil to my worst enemy ..."
       "Those nice Cleaver boys: Wally, Beaver, and Eldrige ..."
   PGP 2.6 public key available by finger for the clinically paranoid.

(1) YAYF94P: Yet Another Yggdrasil Fall '94 Problem.
(2) Flames originating from yggdrasil.com will be cheerfully dumped in
    /dev/null.