installing file upgrades in Slackware (eg/ util.tgz)

installing file upgrades in Slackware (eg/ util.tgz)

Post by Michael Harl » Fri, 25 Feb 1994 23:26:26

This is likely a fairly basic question, but I couldn't find a basic
enough answer for me in the HOWTOs, FAQs.

I have Slackware 1.1.2 installed, but just the a* and ap* disks.
As of Feb 19th, I had kept up with the changes in the README_ChangeLog
file, and that is my install date.

I noticed that the utils.tgz file from disk a2 has been upgraded,
although I don't seem to have the bug it apparently fixes (backspace).
While I may not need this file, I tried to see if I could I could
figure out how to install it.

I downloaded util.tgz and put it in a temp directory in Linux. I then
used gzip -d to unzip it, and got util.tar. I then used tar -xf and
"untarred" it. I noticed that there was a doinst directory with a
doinst.sh file in it, and I believe that this is the key to installing
such an upgrade.

Could someone please tell me how to install this or a similar upgraded
file?

Thanks very much,
Mike

Mike Harlos               Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

1. hdsetup.tgz and terminfo.tgz doesn't install

I've got the following VERY SERIOUS and ANNOYING problem during the installation of my
Slackware Linux 3.0

During the installation (from IDE CD-ROM) of the files, the following files couldn't be
installed:

/var/adm/mount/slakware/a2/hdsetup.tgz

/var/adm/mount/slakware/d9/terminfo.tgz

The error message displayed was:

invalid compressed data - crc error
tar: child returned status 1

Does this sound like a hard-disk problem or what? I've tried using a friend's CD-ROM but
the same problems occur.

Is there anyway to install the above files separately AFTER the main installation
process? (ie untar them myself etc...)

For that matter, what do the above files do anyway?

Please help!!!

| Loh Kok Ho                                  |
| http://www.ug.cs.sunysb.edu/~lohk           |
| 24 Williams Boulevard                       |
| Apartment 2G                                |
| NY 11755-2425. USA                          |
| Tel#(516)981-4793                           |
| Computer Sc. Dept                           |
| Applied Math & Statistics Dept              |
| State University of New York at Stony Brook |

2. How to mount 2 RAID harddisk to a mount point ???

3. Ho do I install Slackware .tgz?

4. Slow HP-UX??

5. IPFILTER: setup for simple desktop, eg browsing via eg firefox:

6. Compiation Err:Derefercing pointer to incomplete type

7. redirection of one stream to two files (eg: file and stdout)

8. 2 Xterminals / 1 .xsession

9. can't find utmp file after installing util-linux-1.10

10. Install problem with .tgz files?

11. Script to install .tgz files?

12. How do I install a .tgz file from a CD?

13. installing .tgz files