Communication program

Post by Poor little fis » Wed, 09 Nov 1994 07:35:33

I installed Linux only a few days ago and has not gotten the X to work
yet.  I wonder if there is a communication program that comes along with
the Linux and doesn't require X.  I have installed disks set A, AP, D, X, Y
but X still is not working.
If it does exist, please, let me know what its name is.

Thanks,
-Aleks.

     _____   _   _  __  ____        _   _    __  _   _  __  _____
    |  __ | | | | |/ / |  __|      | |_| |   \ \| | | |/ / |  _  |
    |  ___| | | |   <  |  _|       | | | |_   _\  | |   <  |  _  |
    |_|     |_| |_|\_\ |____|      |______ | |____| |_|\_\ |_| |_|

Communication program

Post by Timothy G. Wel » Wed, 09 Nov 1994 21:33:44

: I installed Linux only a few days ago and has not gotten the X to work
: yet.  I wonder if there is a communication program that comes along with
: the Linux and doesn't require X.  I have installed disks set A, AP, D, X, Y
: but X still is not working.
: If it does exist, please, let me know what its name is.

See if you don't have Seyon (sp?). On my slack 2.0 its there!

-- Tim

--

Timothy G. Wells               |       Good News Public Access System
(513) 852-5000                 |

Communication program

Post by Andreas Schiffl » Thu, 10 Nov 1994 03:06:23

: I installed Linux only a few days ago and has not gotten the X to work
: yet.  I wonder if there is a communication program that comes along with
: the Linux and doesn't require X.  I have installed disks set A, AP, D, X, Y
: but X still is not working.

Try 'minicom' ... it's part of Slackware 2.0.2.

Andreas

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------_
 Andreas Schiffler  Institute of Space and Atmospheric Studies (ISAS),

------------------------------------------------------------------------_

Communication program

Post by Pekka J Taipa » Thu, 10 Nov 1994 23:47:40

Quote:>: I installed Linux only a few days ago and has not gotten the X to work
>: yet.  I wonder if there is a communication program that comes along with
>: the Linux and doesn't require X.  I have installed disks set A, AP, D, X, Y
>: but X still is not working.
>: If it does exist, please, let me know what its name is.
>See if you don't have Seyon (sp?). On my slack 2.0 its there!

Reading comprehension problems with both of you? Sorry if this sounds
like a flame, but:

- if the original poster had bothered to read the install screens
  of the Slackware distribution which he seems to have, he
  would have found out about minicom
- if the latter poster had bothered to read what the original poster
  wrote, he would have understood that the original poster hasn't got
  X working.

So, the answer to the question: try minicom, or Kermit. I think Kermit
is all I need, even when I have Seyon.

Now let's see what kind of reading comprehension problems others can
point in my post...

--

Communication program

Post by Stephen J. Sulatyc » Fri, 11 Nov 1994 08:29:33

: I installed Linux only a few days ago and has not gotten the X to work
: yet.  I wonder if there is a communication program that comes along with
: the Linux and doesn't require X.  I have installed disks set A, AP, D, X, Y
: but X still is not working.
: If it does exist, please, let me know what its name is.

: Thanks,
: -Aleks.

:      _____   _   _  __  ____        _   _    __  _   _  __  _____
:     |  __ | | | | |/ / |  __|      | |_| |   \ \| | | |/ / |  _  |
:     |  ___| | | |   <  |  _|       | | | |_   _\  | |   <  |  _  |
:     |_|     |_| |_|\_\ |____|      |______ | |____| |_|\_\ |_| |_|

NON X comm program = minicom

I like it.

-Steve

1. Q: A UNIX COMMUNICATION PROGRAMMING QUESTION. NEED HELP!

Hi, All,
   I would like to write a little program to communicate with a romote site
user. The program under Unix starts running whenever it sees a call comming
in and then waits for a command from a remote user. But the remote user does
not log in. He just needs to send a command such as "go" to the program running
under Linux. If the program under Linux successuflly receives the command, it
sends back a string, such as "I go you" and then hangs up.
   I am very new to serial programming. Could somebody tell me how to start
quickly ? For example, how to detect a ring and to connect a line, say
/dev/ttyS1.  I guess I don't need to setup terminal in this case, do I?
  Any replies will be greatly appreciated ?
  I am runnnig the Linux, a unix clone, on my 486 PC.

Thanks in advance.
Binglin Yang

2. Can't Burn CD-RW's

3. Communications programs

4. Modem

5. Good pd communications program

6. ET4000 blues. 3.1.2a does not seem to help much

7. Communication program for Sun

8. cobol for linux???

9. Dos communication program on SCO

10. Communications Programs

11. Communications program in Linux?

12. Communication program in Linux?

13. Need communication program for sco 3.2v4.2