How to setup a Linux to Win Me Network?

Post by Claude & Jennifer Fountai » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 21:03:28

I have just installed Mandrake v7.2 making my machine a dual-boot Linux/Win
Me machine.  It is connected thru a 3Com ethernet card to a hub, and my
other machines (Win Me only) are also connected to the hub.  All three
machines can "talk" if my dual boot is in windows, but if it's in Linux, I
can't seem to access my network.  I do get an error message "bringing up
interface eth0: determining IP info:    [FAILED}'.  Iam new to Linux and
have no idea what I should do.  Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Claude

How to setup a Linux to Win Me Network?

Post by chuc » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 23:55:10

sounds like you have DHCP active for eth0.  Try turning it off using
linuxconf or the ifconfig utility and setting your card with a static
address and this should fix this.

Quote:> I have just installed Mandrake v7.2 making my machine a dual-boot

Post by Leo » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 09:48:29

Quote:> I have just installed Mandrake v7.2 making my machine a dual-boot
> Linux/Win
> Me machine.  It is connected thru a 3Com ethernet card to a hub, and my
> other machines (Win Me only) are also connected to the hub.  All three
> machines can "talk" if my dual boot is in windows, but if it's in Linux, I
> can't seem to access my network.  I do get an error message "bringing up
> interface eth0: determining IP info:    [FAILED}'.  Iam new to Linux and
> have no idea what I should do.  Any suggestions?
> Thanks,
> Claude

chuck's idea is great. It skipped the step of "determining IP". Make sure
your card is well configured in Linux, if it still doesn't work out.

How to setup a Linux to Win Me Network?

Post by Claude & Jennifer Fountai » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 12:34:51

I seem to remember turning DHCP on.  I'll have to try turning it off.
Thanks.  I'll try it, and reply with how it goes.  Thanks Chuck.  Thanks
Leo.

> sounds like you have DHCP active for eth0.  Try turning it off using
> linuxconf or the ifconfig utility and setting your card with a static
> address and this should fix this.

> > I have just installed Mandrake v7.2 making my machine a dual-boot
> Linux/Win
> > Me machine.  It is connected thru a 3Com ethernet card to a hub, and my
> > other machines (Win Me only) are also connected to the hub.  All three
> > machines can "talk" if my dual boot is in windows, but if it's in Linux,
> > can't seem to access my network.  I do get an error message "bringing up
> > interface eth0: determining IP info:    [FAILED}'.  Iam new to Linux and
> > have no idea what I should do.  Any suggestions?
> > Thanks,
> > Claude

How to setup a Linux to Win Me Network?

Post by Claude & Jennifer Fountai » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 14:21:07

Hmmm, I tried a static IP address, letting it default to 192.168.0.1 I think
it was.  I can't seem to cut it.  Is there a HOWTO I cazn check out
somewhere?

Thanks Again

1. Network Setup - Linux & Win 95

Hi,

I am setting up my Linux machine to be a test web server where I can
develop web applications on it (using Perl, PHP and MySql). I don't want
to connect this machine to the Internet but merely connect to it from my
Windows 95 machine and use Netscape to browse and the FTP all the files
as required. I have a laplink cable between the two machines which I can
use to transfer files from the W95 machine to a DOS partition on the
Linux machine.

So my question is ;

Using the setup and equipment that I currently have it is possible to do
what I want to do ? If so, what is required ?
If not, what do I need ?

Many thanks,

Andrew

2. Null Value Problem In Solaris

3. how to setup null modem network between linux box and win 3.1 laptop

4. Xlib: extension "RENDER"missing on display ":0.0".

5. Network between Win 3.11/Win 95 machine and Linux machine

6. ADSL Multipath routing

7. Why won't the network forward packets in a dual-homed setup?

8. sed to remove characters returned from grep in script

9. After linux's network works, win XP's network cannot work ?

10. DNS setup for NT/Wins and Unix mixed network

11. Fu*!ing Network Setup FreeBSD talking to Win 98 Machines

12. Network config - win <-> freebsd - where to look to setup?

13. Linux Network setup for Nt4 network