Get font path error starting X!

Post by Shawn Wol » Thu, 29 Dec 1994 20:52:04

Well I have checked out the HOWTO appendix and it says to make sure that you
have run mkfontdir.  This I have done.  I have looked quite carefully.

I am running 1.1.59 from the most recent Slackware available at sunsite.
I have a WD90c33 video adapter but there appears to be no problem there.  The
only error I get is "Unable to set font path 'blah','blah'( have tried
several) because Font Path invalid.  There are fonts there, compressed.  Is
compressed ok, I was thinking it should be?  The files fonts.alias and
fonts.dir are in each of 100dpi, 75dpi, and misc.

Please help!

shawn
Is the group encompassed by the word "people" in the First Amendment not
the same as that in the Second Amendment!  If this is not so then logic
would dictate that freedom of speech was only needed to found these
United States and should also now be controlled.  Fear not, however, for
the latter is being designed and without The Second you can not keep The
First.

(There should be no doubt that these are my own opinions....)

Shawn Wolff

1. X Fails to start, has font path problem!

I have read the HOWTO and I have every document from the LDP.  I have been a
UN*X user for many years but X is somewhat new to me.

I have a system with Slackware installed.  My kernel is 1.1.59 and I have
X11R6 3.1.  The error I get is
"failed to set default font path '/usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/misc/,......,........'"

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'
because FontPath is invalid

xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unexpected signal 13

The Howto mentions that you should make sure mkfontdir has been executed.
This I have done.  I have checked and double checked the path it is good.  I
have tried variations as well.  I have even let the server probe for the
fonts.  It chooses one and still fails with the same error.  I have also tried
it with the fonts uncompressed.

P.S.  The server I am using is VGA256 (wd90c33).  There appears to be no
problem here.

Thanks
shawn

2. cthulu -notatla CIA

3. Almost working....font path is screwing up in X (path's correct)

4. NIC behaviour

5. Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo

6. RedHat installation with Adaptec 2940UW

7. FontTastic font server font path ?

8. finger trouble

9. XFree86-4 font path error messages

10. xfs errors. (font path)