Help: No config file found!

1. Config file not found - HELP!

when i use ConfigXF86, it references files which don't seem to exist
($PROCID.msel, .work, .bak1, et cetera).  I tried to edit the script but
it still doesn't point to anything.

i wrote a config file myself and tried to run startx and runx, both of
which return the following:

Fatal server error:
No config file found!

xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): Unexpected signal 13

i've put the config in every conceivable place referenced in x docs,
including /etc/ConfigXF86, and it still dies.

suggestions??  I've reinstalled X, upgraded the kernel, and done
everything short of pissing on the machine.  it does it on my desktop
(586/90, 804MB HD, 40MB Ram, 32MB Swap) and on my ThinkPad (486/75, 720MB
HD, 16MB Ram, 32MB Swap), so i'm thoroughly baffled.

regards,

Monachus

2. compiling Xfree 3.2?

3. How to find nos. of cyl in HD ?

4. Voicemail system for linux??

5. Help: "no config file found"

6. Ultra 10 Monitor Selection (Edu Promo too)

7. translating kppp config files to ppp config files

8. .htaccess and proxies

9. Help: What is best NOS/platform for Oracle?

10. tcsh: run-help -- no file found (where to find)?

11. HELP -I accidently deleted a config file Please mail me the file.

12. "Fatal server error: No config file found!" ?

13. kppp config file not found