Sudden strange mouse behavior

Post by Andy Jawors » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 03:47:42

Hi,

I have been running RH-7.1 for some time now, and suddenly my mouse started
behaving strange in X.  I have a serial MouseMan 3-button mouse which worked
perfectly until about 3 weeks ago, when it started to misbehave.  The
symptom is that I have to click the left button 2 or sometimes 3 times to
get the proper action.  The behavior is intermittent - sometimes the mouse
works fine for a period of time.

The reason that I think this is an X problem is that I run gpm in the
console mode, and the mouse seems to work fine there.

Unfortunately I cannot pinpoint exact time of when this whole thing started,
but it may be coincidental with the last batch of RH security updates.

Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance,

Andy

-----------------------
Andy Jaworski

Sudden strange mouse behavior

Post by Wim de Jong » Thu, 13 Sep 2001 21:32:19

Sounds like a hardware porblem to me. Do you have a spare mouse to see
whether it's X-related? Did anything get chaged with regard to X, or
permissions to your mouse device, with the security updates? If not,
it's very unlikely the fault of the software.

Good luck,

wim

Quote:>I have been running RH-7.1 for some time now, and suddenly my mouse started
>behaving strange in X.  I have a serial MouseMan 3-button mouse which worked
>perfectly until about 3 weeks ago, when it started to misbehave.  The
>symptom is that I have to click the left button 2 or sometimes 3 times to
>get the proper action.  The behavior is intermittent - sometimes the mouse
>works fine for a period of time.

>The reason that I think this is an X problem is that I run gpm in the
>console mode, and the mouse seems to work fine there.

>Unfortunately I cannot pinpoint exact time of when this whole thing started,
>but it may be coincidental with the last batch of RH security updates.

1. MS mouse: strange behaviour - help!

When running X396, the Microsoft mouse seems to move randomly in response to
mouse movements. I.e: the cursor arrow does not track smoothly, and it is
impossible to tell where it thinks it is.
Here is an extract from the Xconfig file:

*start of extract---------------------------------

#
# Enable this to use the XQUEUE driver for keyboard and mouse handling
# under System V.  This may go away in the future.
#
# Note - If you use XQUEUE, you must comment out the keyboard and
#        mouse definitions.
#
# Xqueue

#
# Keyboard and various keyboard-related parameters
#
Keyboard
  AutoRepeat 500 5
  ServerNumLock
#  Xleds      1 2 3
#  DontZap
#
# To set the LeftAlt to Meta, RightAlt key to ModeShift,
# RightCtl key to Compose, and ScrollLock key to ModeLock:
#
#  LeftAlt     Meta
#  RightAlt    ModeShift
#  RightCtl    Compose
#  ScrollLock  ModeLock

#
# Mouse definition and related parameters
#
#Microsoft      "/dev/ttyS0"
Microsoft       "/dev/mouse"
#MouseSystems   "/dev/mouse"
#MMSeries       "/dev/mouse"
#Logitech       "/dev/mouse"
#MouseMan       "/dev/mouse"
#Busmouse       "/dev/mouse"
#  BaudRate     1200
# BaudRate      9600
#SampleRate     150
Emulate3Buttons

*end of extract--------------------------------------------
Help would be greatly appreciated!

--

 /     B <--+  Department of Computer Science        :fx:+61 7 365 1999
 \_.-._/    |  University of Queensland, St.Lucia

2. Kdevelop and extra object files?

3. Strange mouse behavior..?

4. Red Herring lies: beware of rhats!

5. Netscape, strange behavior right mouse click

6. Xwindows problem with RedHat 7.0 on Presario laptop...

7. Strange mouse behavior

8. make bin

9. Strange mouse behavior. Help..

10. Strange mouse behavior