Cannot boot. Continual reset

Post by Stephen Davie » Wed, 19 Dec 2001 08:01:18

Hello.

I have built many kernels over the years without any significant
problems but now have a problem that I cannot fix.

I am trying to upgrade a vanilla Mandrake 7.1 system to kernel 2.4.16.

The kernel and modules build without error and I have added a test entry
to my LILO config. However, when I try to boot the new kernel using that
entry, the process stops (before I can see any kernel messages) and the
machine resets itself. This boot/reset sequence will then loop for ever
or until I power off.

Booting with the original LILO menu option still works properly.

Any suggestions as to what I have or have not done to cause this
behaviour?

Cheers andthanks,
Stephen Davies

Adelaide, South Australia.                          Voice: 08-8177 1595
Computing & Network solutions.                      Fax  : 08-8177 0133

Cannot boot. Continual reset

Post by David Whit » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 10:58:23

Hi Stephen

I had a similar thing recently when compiling 2.4.14. When you say 'before
any kernel messages', are you seeing the row of dots (......) as the kernel
uncompresses
If so, it could be the problem I had which turned out to be a misconfigured
proccessosor type in the kernel config file. It's well hidden in the 2.4.x
series kernel config setups, but I'd suggest checking you have compiled for
the right processor. Failing that I would guess that it's got to be a major
hardware configuration problem of some sort.

Hope that helps

Regards

David

>Hello.

>I have built many kernels over the years without any significant
>problems but now have a problem that I cannot fix.

>I am trying to upgrade a vanilla Mandrake 7.1 system to kernel 2.4.16.

>The kernel and modules build without error and I have added a test entry
>to my LILO config. However, when I try to boot the new kernel using that
>entry, the process stops (before I can see any kernel messages) and the
>machine resets itself. This boot/reset sequence will then loop for ever
>or until I power off.

>Booting with the original LILO menu option still works properly.

>Any suggestions as to what I have or have not done to cause this
>behaviour?

>Cheers andthanks,
>Stephen Davies
>--

>Adelaide, South Australia.                          Voice: 08-8177 1595
>Computing & Network solutions.                      Fax  : 08-8177 0133

Cannot boot. Continual reset

Post by Martijn van Bu » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 19:49:10

It occurred to me that David White wrote in comp.os.linux.development.system:

Quote:> Hi Stephen

> I had a similar thing recently when compiling 2.4.14. When you say 'before
> any kernel messages', are you seeing the row of dots (......) as the kernel
> uncompresses

While I'm not the OP, I encountered the very same thing yesterday. The kernel
doesn't even uncompress..

--

         Geek code: G--  - Visit OuterSpace: mud.stack.nl 3333
   Kees J. Bot: The sum of CPU power and user brain power is a constant.

Post by Kasper Dupon » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 21:17:20

> It occurred to me that David White wrote in comp.os.linux.development.system:
> > Hi Stephen

> > I had a similar thing recently when compiling 2.4.14. When you say 'before
> > any kernel messages', are you seeing the row of dots (......) as the kernel
> > uncompresses

> While I'm not the OP, I encountered the very same thing yesterday. The kernel
> doesn't even uncompress..

Could be a misconfigured boot loader. Perhaps data located
outside the diskspace addressable by the BIOS.

--
Kasper Dupont

Post by Tim Inc » Tue, 25 Dec 2001 20:10:34

> > It occurred to me that David White wrote in

comp.os.linux.development.system:
Quote:> > > Hi Stephen

> > > I had a similar thing recently when compiling 2.4.14. When you say
'before
> > > any kernel messages', are you seeing the row of dots (......) as the
kernel
> > > uncompresses

> > While I'm not the OP, I encountered the very same thing yesterday. The
kernel
> > doesn't even uncompress..

> Could be a misconfigured boot loader. Perhaps data located
> outside the diskspace addressable by the BIOS.

> --
> Kasper Dupont

I too have this problem. kernel 2.4.13 works fine but 2.4.16 or 2.4.17 give
repeated divide overflow errors before it resets. i am using Loadlin to boot
it. I do see some dots before the errors. The curious thing is that my home
machine (AMD k6 processor) works fine on 2.4.16. I have tried downgrading
the processor type from Pentium 2 to I586 but it makes no difference Any
ideas?

Post by Kasper Dupon » Wed, 26 Dec 2001 10:37:40

> I too have this problem. kernel 2.4.13 works fine but 2.4.16 or 2.4.17 give
> repeated divide overflow errors before it resets. i am using Loadlin to boot
> it. I do see some dots before the errors. The curious thing is that my home
> machine (AMD k6 processor) works fine on 2.4.16. I have tried downgrading
> the processor type from Pentium 2 to I586 but it makes no difference Any
> ideas?

I suggest you read the file linux/Documentation/BUG-HUNTING.

--
Kasper Dupont

Cannot boot. Continual reset

Post by Tim Inc » Sat, 29 Dec 2001 18:12:03

I have narrowed it down a little further.
2.4.14 works but 2.4.16 doesn't. ( I believe 2.4.15 should NOT be used.so
not tried it).
As for the divide and conquer method of finding the offending item.
/usr/src/linux/lib appears ok.
/usr/src/linux/net appears ok.
/usr/src/linux/mm    /usr/src/linux/drivers    /usr/src/linux/fs  all
produce compile errors which i have
been unable to solve at present. Hope this may be of use to someone. Will
advise if i get any further.

> > I too have this problem. kernel 2.4.13 works fine but 2.4.16 or 2.4.17
give
> > repeated divide overflow errors before it resets. i am using Loadlin to
boot
> > it. I do see some dots before the errors. The curious thing is that my
home
> > machine (AMD k6 processor) works fine on 2.4.16. I have tried
downgrading
> > the processor type from Pentium 2 to I586 but it makes no difference Any
> > ideas?

> I suggest you read the file linux/Documentation/BUG-HUNTING.

> --
> Kasper Dupont

1. diskless boot hit error while booting kernel, cannot find boot device, dhcp problem?

Hi people, wonder if you could help me on this:

i have two redhat 7.1 machine, one trying to boot off the other
through etherboot. Everythign goes fine, the client boots, retreat the
kernel off the server through tftp, and starting the kernel. Then it
stopped with error messages:
.
.
VFS: Cannot open root device "nfs" or 00:ff
please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic:VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:ff

kdb >
.
.
Where do I append a "root=" option? is it a dhcp problem? in
/etc/dhcpd.conf, i did put in

 option root-path "/boothome";

along with the other options. also, when tagging the kernel image, i
also have rootdir option:
mknbi-linux zImage --output=kernel --rootdir=/boothome

nfs export is correct, i have no idea where i did wrong.

any clue?

thanks in advance.
Paul G

2. Login weirdness HELP!

3. cannot install LILO, cannot boot

4. PPP SCRIPT FOR IBM/ATT GLOBAL NETWORK

5. Reset password and still cannot login

6. boot hangs at etho interface

7. Cannot reset VT520 terminal line speed w/ FreeBSD

8. >>> ARE YOU READY FOR LOVE? <<<

9. uugetty cannot reset

10. Cannot boot using LILO from Linux boot disk.

11. FreeBSD kernel boot disk cannot boot in ThinkPAD 750C

12. Slackware 3.2 - Cannot boot from bare.i boot disk - Pentium 266/AMI Bios

13. Lilo: Cannot boot DOS, but can boot Linux