e2fsck: block bitmap 0 for group 0 not in group?

e2fsck: block bitmap 0 for group 0 not in group?

Post by Alex Mo » Thu, 09 Feb 1995 06:10:02

It finally happened.  The power flickered for a moment, and now I have
problems.  My system: kernel 1.1.83 on a 386/40 with a 540 meg Maxtor
drive.  It has a dos partition on the first 320, linux for the next
200 [ending on cyl 1023], and a few megs of swap space [1024-1046].

When booting, I get a dreaded:
Transaction block size = 512
Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root f on 03:02

So, thinking that perhaps this is a problem for e2fsck to solve, I
pop in my trusty boot/root disk (the slackware ones) and run:
# e2fsck /dev/hda2
E2fsck 0.5a
e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hda2.
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.
#

So perhaps this is just a case of super-block corruption?  That's what
I'm hoping as I do:
# e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda2
E2fsck 0.5a
Block bitmap 0 for group 0 not in group
#

So what does that mean?  I tried all of the different superblock copies
at (n*8193)+1, with the same block bitmap error.  Is there anything I
can do to fix the problem and get as much of the file system restored
as possible?  Only 12 megs of the stuff is really important (new since
the last backup.)

Alex Mohr

Post by Kevin Lent » Thu, 09 Feb 1995 07:21:26

> So, thinking that perhaps this is a problem for e2fsck to solve, I
> pop in my trusty boot/root disk (the slackware ones) and run:
> # e2fsck /dev/hda2
> E2fsck 0.5a
> e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hda2.
> Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.
> #
> So perhaps this is just a case of super-block corruption?  That's what
> I'm hoping as I do:
> # e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda2
> E2fsck 0.5a
> Block bitmap 0 for group 0 not in group
> #
> So what does that mean?  I tried all of the different superblock copies
> at (n*8193)+1, with the same block bitmap error.  Is there anything I

I thought it was n*8192 + 1
Also, try get the new e2fsprogs. They're called e2fs-0.5.WIP or something
like that. Definitely has WIP in the name.

--
[==================================================================]
[ Kevin Lentin                   |___/~\__/~\___/~~~~\__/~\__/~\_| ]

[ Macintrash: 'Just say NO!'     |___/~\__/~\___/~~~~\____/~~\___| ]
[==================================================================]

Post by Nick Kralevi » Thu, 09 Feb 1995 22:46:11

>I thought it was n*8192 + 1
>Also, try get the new e2fsprogs. They're called e2fs-0.5.WIP or something
>like that. Definitely has WIP in the name.

It is located at tsx-11.mit.edu /pub/linux/ALPHA/ext2

Take care,
-- Nick Kralevich

--
LINUX, the FREE           | University of California at  | Nick Kralevich

future available via anon | Electrical Engineering and   | berkeley.edu
FTP. Ask me about it.     | Computer Science.            | finger for PGP

1. e2fsck 0.5a -> error: Block bitmap nn for group yy not in group

   Date: 18 Nov 1994 08:41:15 GMT

   I ran into trouble yesterday as our main Linux machine came to a
   halt. Nothing seemed to work except an occational ping to the ethernet
   card. The reset button was the only solution since all VCs had frozen
   and telnetd seemed out of order. After the reboot the kernel was
   unable to mount root and paniced. Now, this has happened before, and I
   had a bootdisk + rootdisk ready, which would enable me to do a manual
   fsck on the rootdevice. The magic formula, which has always worked for
   me in the past, 'fsck -t ext2 -a /dev/sda3' only gave the error
   message

   'Block bitmap 790647877 for group 32 not in group'

   and returned me to the prompt.

Your block group descriptors on your filesystem got trashed.  You should
hopefully be able to recover by telling e2fsck to use the backup
superblock and block group descriptors:

e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/sda3

Good luck!

                                                - Ted

2. unknown class root in 2.2.2-RELEASE

3. Is Linux vulnerable to Viruses?

4. Block, inode, superblock, group and bitmap -- really confused

5. LPD processes??????

6. HELP! Ext2 group block/inode bitmap corrupted

7. WorkShop Analyzer

8. cannot set up UMASK or groups so that users from one group cannot access other groups

9. grouping a group to a group?

10. Keeping groups, groups and groups straight

11. GROUPS CONTAINING OTHER GROUPS (/etc/group)

12. /etc/group groups inside of groups?