SPEA Mirage P64 (PCI)?

Post by Christian Huebn » Wed, 20 Jul 1994 23:54:10

I use Linux on a new PCI-machine
equipped with a SPEA Mirage P64
board. I know the X-server (XS3-864)
runs fine with the board as I was
able to start X in the accelerated
640x480-Mode.

I tried to build myself a clock chip
setup-program for the ICS 2595 2e
clock chip, but without success so far.
I had only the info supplied in the
SVGADATA.PMI-file of my OS/2 driver.

So three questions:
1) Has anyone run Linux X11 successfully
   on the SPEA card or another card using
   the same clock chip?
2) Has anyone managed to acquire programming
   info on the chip, but has no time to write
   a driver himself?
3) Has anyone managed to drag exact information
   about the svgadata.pmi-file out of the IBMers?

If You can supply any info on the subject please
mail me an answer or post it!

Thanks a lot...

Chris

See ya... BTW: The NCR works fine now...

SPEA Mirage P64 (PCI)?

Post by ber.. » Tue, 26 Jul 1994 21:21:37

Quote:>   I use Linux on a new PCI-machine
>   equipped with a SPEA Mirage P64
>   board. I know the X-server (XS3-864)
>   runs fine with the board as I was
>   able to start X in the accelerated
>   640x480-Mode.

>   I tried to build myself a clock chip
>   setup-program for the ICS 2595 2e
>   clock chip, but without success so far.
>   I had only the info supplied in the
>   SVGADATA.PMI-file of my OS/2 driver.

>   So three questions:
>   1) Has anyone run Linux X11 successfully
>      on the SPEA card or another card using
>      the same clock chip?

Yes, with my VL-Bus configuration, I got the following solution:

after analyzing how the utility-program "v7hfreq" under DOS-Textmode works,
I found 16 different clocks ranging from 28 to 135 MHz. For use under Linux I patched
the ds3-program that programs the clock chip for another S3 board.

This is supposed to be a bad work around in that it requires changing the frequency
proir to starting X, what probably drives the monitor with h.-freqs. beyond limit until the
X-Server gets into graphical mode.

[lines deleted]

BTW, I'm very impressed by the performannce of the SPEA/V7 Mirage P64 VL board.
A first xbench-test reports ca. 120000 xstones with my 486/33 CPU (16MB ram).
Especially playing xpilot is great fun now compared to my old ET4000.

If you are interessed in my patch, feel free to contact me.

Bye,

1. REQ:X-Config for SPEA Mirage P64 PCI

Hello, there,

I wonder if anybody would tell me how to configure my X for my new SPEA
Mirage P64 PCI - I already ran xf86config with the correct settings of my
Monitor (hor. 28-70 kHz , vert. 47-120 Hz) but at reboot (Login-Window) the
screen flickers - then with (CTRL+ALT+"+") and (CTRL+ALT+"-") it works fine
:-(

I don't think the SPEA is such an exotic card nobody runs Linux on it :-),
so please answer.

Thanks in advance

Nils

+49(0)711/6599405                            http://home.pages.de/~elwood/

2. download a file by ftp by script

3. XConfig for Idek-Monitor and Spea Mirage P64 PCI

4. Xserver wont open display

5. Q: SPEA Mirage P64 PCI: Clockchip problem

6. APS 200 system report/problems

7. XF86Config for SPEA V7 Mirage P64 2MB PCI

8. Shared Memory and pmap

9. X11 and SPEA V7 Mirage P64 PCI

10. XConfig for SPEA Mirage-P64 S3-Trio

11. XF86Config for Spea Mirage P64 needed

12. Problems with SPEA Mirage P64 and MAG PA17S

13. S3 Trio64+, (Spea Mirage P64 Video)