How to build Metafont on Linux

Post by Dragan Cvetkov » Tue, 11 Jan 1994 18:39:01

files (web-5.851d and co.) from CTAN archive that are needed but somehow I
could not pass the trap test for MF. It seems that Metafont generated
trashes .tfm files, at least that is what tftopl said (it says that
checksums in subfiles doesn't sum, or similar, I don't remember
exactly). It seems there are no problems with .300gf files generated however.
        My current seting is Linux kernel 0.99pl14, gcc 2.5.7 and libc.4.5.8.
        The most annoying thing is that I managed to install the whole thing
few months ago, but that was with lower versions of kernel, gcc and libc.
        At least, after few days of trying different configurations I had
to give up and installed mf from SLS 1.03 distribution.
        But I am curious what is wrong. Any idea?
                        Dragan

--
     Dragan Cvetkovic,                  | To be or not to be

Post by Hannes Reinec » Tue, 11 Jan 1994 21:34:25

: files (web-5.851d and co.) from CTAN archive that are needed but somehow I
: could not pass the trap test for MF. It seems that Metafont generated
: trashes .tfm files, at least that is what tftopl said (it says that
: checksums in subfiles doesn't sum, or similar, I don't remember
: exactly). It seems there are no problems with .300gf files generated however.
:       My current seting is Linux kernel 0.99pl14, gcc 2.5.7 and libc.4.5.8.
:       The most annoying thing is that I managed to install the whole thing
: few months ago, but that was with lower versions of kernel, gcc and libc.
:       At least, after few days of trying different configurations I had
: to give up and installed mf from SLS 1.03 distribution.
:       But I am curious what is wrong. Any idea?
:                       Dragan

Two possibilities:
- There is a Linux-Version of TeX & Friends  in the SLS-Distribution, which
  is working ( or at least able to produce reasonable results )

- Get the original TeX-Stuff from ftp.rus.uni-stuttgart.de ( The official
  TeX-server in Germany ). In /pub/tex/systems/unix (or something) is a file
  called TeX-3.141.tar.Z, which should (and in fact has on my machine) compile
  right out of the box.

Hope this helps.

Hannes Reinecke

: --

Post by Timothy Murp » Wed, 12 Jan 1994 09:52:54

>files (web-5.851d and co.) from CTAN archive that are needed but somehow I
>could not pass the trap test for MF. It seems that Metafont generated
>trashes .tfm files, at least that is what tftopl said (it says that
>checksums in subfiles doesn't sum, or similar, I don't remember
>exactly).

I had absolutely no problems with mf.
I compiled it (as part of web2c-TeX) under Slackware 1.1.1,
using the gcc that comes with that distribution.
The only change I made was to alter "/usr/local"
to "/usr/TeX" to accord with the usage of the t? diskettes.
Then I just said
$ configure
$ make
# make install
and everything worked like a dream.

Script started on Mon Jan 10 19:55:35 1994
darkstar:/tmp$ mf "\mode=epsonlq;mag=1;input cmr5"
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71 (C version d)
(/usr/TeX/lib/mf/macros/cmr5.mf (/usr/TeX/lib/mf/macros/cmbase.mf)
(/usr/TeX/lib/mf/macros/roman.mf (/usr/TeX/lib/mf/macros/romanu.mf [65]
(/usr/TeX/lib/mf/macros/sym.mf [12] [11] [60] [62]) [13]) ) )
Font metrics written on cmr5.tfm.
Output written on cmr5.180gf (128 characters, 5396 bytes).
Transcript written on cmr5.log.
darkstar:/tmp$ tftopl cmr5.tfm cmr5.pl
darkstar:/tmp$ ls -ls cmr5.pl
  19 -rw-r--r--   1 tim      users       17893 Jan 10 19:58 cmr5.pl
darkstar:/tmp$ less cmr5.pl
(FAMILY CMR)
(FACE O 364)
(CODINGSCHEME TEX TEXT WITHOUT F-LIGATURES)
(DESIGNSIZE R 5.0)
Script done on Mon Jan 10 19:58:41 1994

I'm sure the TeX distribution with slackware is perfectly good.
I just wanted to compile it for my own purposes.
It was easier than any other compilation of web2c-TeX
that I have ever tried, and I have tried many.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-1-2842366

1. How do I setup Metafont to work under Linux

I recently set up a linux box running Dabian.
I use the wmaker GUI. The program 'mf' does not behave
as described in the metafont book by knuth.

When I type the command 'showit', which is suppose
to show the graphic which I just drew, I get a white
screen and I have to restart X.

I was wondering if anyody has any solutions ?

Thanks,

Thanks a million

2. Help re-creating a package already installed

3. llogo, MetaFont code for a Linux logo

4. DOS Emu/NetWare connectivity problems

5. METAFONT on Linux -- can

6. SDB out of memory?

7. MetaFont with Linux (T Disk Series: TeX) Wants Library 'libXt.so.6'

8. konqueror printing margins

9. METAFONT within Linux

10. xdvi, metafont and redhat linux 3.0.3

11. problems building cross-compiler host/build in linux for target i686-pc-msdosdjgpp (long)

12. MetaFont?

13. xdvi, metafont, 4.3.3