Gated failure in ioctl SIOCGIFHWADDR?!

Post by John Coop » Sat, 18 Mar 1995 18:06:25

Folks,
  I'm attempting to get gated running on a new Slakware installation.
  gated is failing with the following msg to syslog:
    gated[135]: krt_ifread: ioctl SIOCGIFHWADDR: Invalid argument

  Do I need to rebuild the kernel with some patch to allow gated
  to operate correctly?

  Any help would be much appreciated...

Thanks,
John

Post by John Coop » Mon, 20 Mar 1995 04:35:33

:   I'm attempting to get gated running on a new Slakware installation.
:   gated is failing with the following msg to syslog:
:     gated[135]: krt_ifread: ioctl SIOCGIFHWADDR: Invalid argument

Well - it turns out my "new Slakware install" was really a 1.0.9 kernel.
Ouch.  Note that Walnut Creek CDROM's August 94 Linux CD is 1.0.9.
I think they are about to release a new up-to-date Linux CD.

I built the 1.2.0 kernel yesterday and gated is working
beautifully now.

John

1. MAC ADDRESS/ioctl(siocgifhwaddr)

Hi (again)!
I want to figure out the mac-address of my network-devices (ippp0,eth0).
I have already found the ioctl()-call i have to use but i have the
problem, that i dont know how to decode the given data.
the ioctl call is as follows: ioctl(filedes,siocgifhwaddr,struct ifreq*)

the ifreq struct has a member ifr_ifru (a union) an this one has a
member ifru_hwaddr of type "struct sockaddr". Now i dont know how to
get the mac-address from the sockaddr.sa_data member. I thought sockaddr
was only used to store ip-addresses...

thanx for any help

Martin

2. Running Gnome and KDE in 24-bit Color?

3. RTL8139: ioctl(SIOCGIFHWADDR): No such device

4. Apache server - cgi return LOCATION:

5. Help: recommendations for 10MB ethernet card

6. Newbie: RH8.0 ADSL problem ioctl(SIOCGIFHWADDR): No such device

7. Help w/ AS200 4/233

8. streams/TLI: ioctl I_STR failure

9. gated failure

10. dm-ioctl.h - device-mapper ioctl packet fixes

11. getting 'ioctl failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device'

12. Error: ftp: ioctl I_FIND ttcompat: Inappropriate ioctl for device