Making a Bootdisk for Slackware from scratch

Making a Bootdisk for Slackware from scratch

Post by Richard Nutt » Tue, 20 Dec 1994 13:08:24

I have been trying to make a bootdisk that can operate with the
slackware root disks and i am running into trouble. I get it as far as

RAMDISK: Loading 1440 blocks into ramdisk..

then as soon as it gets to the part where it would actualy mount the
filesystem it gives me the standard kernel panic: unable to mount root error
What I am wondering is if anyone has an idea where i can get some docs or a
clue on how to make these bootdisks work :-)

thanks for any help.

-Rich
--
Rich Nuttle           || Computer Science, Southern Il. Univ - Carbondale

Post by Chris Fearnl » Tue, 20 Dec 1994 20:36:10

> I have been trying to make a bootdisk that can operate with the
> slackware root disks and i am running into trouble. I get it as far as
> RAMDISK: Loading 1440 blocks into ramdisk..
> then as soon as it gets to the part where it would actualy mount the
> filesystem it gives me the standard kernel panic: unable to mount root error
> What I am wondering is if anyone has an idea where i can get some docs or a
> clue on how to make these bootdisks work :-)

What does rdev(8) say?  I'd bet you need to say something like rdev /dev/hda2
before you copy the image to disk (did you use make zdisk?) so that Linux
knows which partition has the root filesystem in it.

> thanks for any help.
> -Rich
> --
> Rich Nuttle           || Computer Science, Southern Il. Univ - Carbondale

--
Christopher J. Fearnley         |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS

503 S 44th ST                   |    Linux Advocate
Philadelphia PA 19104-3907      |    (215)349-9681

1. Making a Slackware Bootdisk

I would like to run Slackware so I can install Linux on my Zeos
Pantera 90. The problem is that my AMD SCSI chip is not recognized by
any standard kernel drivers. I'm working right now with an alpha
driver to make a kernel that will recognize my hard drives. All I do
now is make zImage on a friend's machine, ftp the zimage to my PC,
rawrite the zimage to a floppy, and boot. No problem there.

If I manage to make a bootdisk that works (recognizes my hard drives),
how can I use it to install Slackware? Do I have to do something to
make it a Slackware bootdisk, or can I just put in my home-made
bootdisk, then put in the Slackware rootdisk?

Thanks,

Pat McCormick

(please do not reply to the constitution address above, thanks.)

2. Linux 8.0 on Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop -- config questions

3. Making Slackware Bootdisk.

4. A couple simple questions

5. Slackware bootdisk boots but Linux bootdisk won't!

6. G3 Ethernet Problem

7. Slackware 3.3, Slackware 3.4, SC875, n_53c8xx.s bootdisk

8. Adding Users Through the Web

9. What makes Slackware well Slackware

10. SLS to Slackware - rebuild from scratch?

11. In trouble - how to wipe out slackware 3.2 and start from scratch?

12. Slackware Pro 2.1 Scratch/Dent Sale!

13. Making Bootdisk?