Xconfigurator

Post by JD » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 02:52:06

I need to put an older monitor on my linux box, and can't get Xconfigurator
to find the right setting...I know the monitor will support 800x600 with 256
color, but don't know the vert/horiz refresh rates...

Can anyone help me on what setting I need to put in Xconfig?

Thanks,

JD

Xconfigurator

Post by Travis Case » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 04:57:25

> I need to put an older monitor on my linux box, and can't get
> Xconfigurator to find the right setting...I know the monitor will support
> 800x600 with 256 color, but don't know the vert/horiz refresh rates...

> Can anyone help me on what setting I need to put in Xconfig?

Do you have the brand and model number for the monitor?  Someone out there
can probably help, but it's a lot easier with more information.

--

       /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_   No one agrees with me.  Not even me.
      |,4-  ) )-,_..;\ (  `'-'
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)

Xconfigurator

Post by Mike » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 05:11:01

>> I need to put an older monitor on my linux box, and can't get
>> Xconfigurator to find the right setting...I know the monitor will
>> support 800x600 with 256 color, but don't know the vert/horiz refresh
>> rates...
>> Can anyone help me on what setting I need to put in Xconfig?
> Do you have the brand and model number for the monitor?  Someone out
> there can probably help, but it's a lot easier with more information.

This is true, but if you feel like guessing... ;-)

My 14" 800x600 monitor works with HorizSync 30-70 and VertSync 50-70.
It does support any colour depth I've thrown at it, too (16 and 32bit)

They may work for you, but if you're monitor explodes and destroys you
and everything you hold dear, it's not *my* fault, okay? :-)
--
Mike.
To poor to be with suing.

Xconfigurator

Post by JD » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 05:42:07

Oops...meant to include the info...

14" (honestly, it could be a 15", but sitting next to my 17" it's just
small! 8-)   )

Sceptre, Model: E447AU

I checked the sceptre site, but didn't see any info about thier older
models...

I'm running RedHat 7.2
366 MHz
64MB RAM (soon to be 192)
Voodoo 3 2000 w/16MB RAM

Basically, whenver I run Xconfigurator, probe gets my video card (PCI Entry:
probe gets ATI|3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X, X Server: XF86_Mach64, XFree4 driver:
ati, which doesn't sound right to me!), and I have to choose a monitor...I

video mem, No Clockchip Setting, and I choose the 640x480 8-bit
mode...Xconfig says it will test, and always comes up with an error, saying
I can go back or quit...

Hopefully that's not TOO much info!

Thanks again,

JD

> >> I need to put an older monitor on my linux box, and can't get
> >> Xconfigurator to find the right setting...I know the monitor will
> >> support 800x600 with 256 color, but don't know the vert/horiz refresh
> >> rates...

> >> Can anyone help me on what setting I need to put in Xconfig?

> > Do you have the brand and model number for the monitor?  Someone out
> > there can probably help, but it's a lot easier with more information.

> This is true, but if you feel like guessing... ;-)

> My 14" 800x600 monitor works with HorizSync 30-70 and VertSync 50-70.
> It does support any colour depth I've thrown at it, too (16 and 32bit)

> They may work for you, but if you're monitor explodes and destroys you
> and everything you hold dear, it's not *my* fault, okay? :-)
> --
> Mike.
> To poor to be with suing.

Xconfigurator

Post by Peter Karlss » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:09:54

> Can anyone help me on what setting I need to put in Xconfig?

Check out http://www.monitorworld.com/home.html , they probably
have your monitor listed there.

// Peter

Xconfigurator

Post by Mike » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:50:25

Quote:> 14" (honestly, it could be a 15", but sitting next to my 17" it's just
> small! 8-)   )
> Sceptre, Model: E447AU

Well, Google has 3 hits for that model number, so I think you're out
of luck; either try guessing, or email Sceptre and ask them for the
settings for that monitor.  It's worth a shot, at least.

> Basically, whenver I run Xconfigurator, probe gets my video card (PCI
> Entry: probe gets ATI|3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X, X Server: XF86_Mach64,
> XFree4 driver: ati, which doesn't sound right to me!), and I have to

> for vertical sync, 16mb for video mem, No Clockchip Setting, and I
> choose the 640x480 8-bit mode...Xconfig says it will test, and always
> comes up with an error, saying I can go back or quit...

What error does it come up with?

Quote:> Hopefully that's not TOO much info!

(Almost) no such thing. :-)
--
Mike.

Xconfigurator

Post by JD » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 13:48:23

Didn't have it listed, but thanks for the info.

It actually may be my Voodoo 3 2000 that's screwing Linux up...bunch of
links for this videocard and Linux, but much of the info is old...oh well!

Thanks,

JD

> > Can anyone help me on what setting I need to put in Xconfig?

> Check out http://www.monitorworld.com/home.html , they probably
> have your monitor listed there.

> // Peter

Xconfigurator

Post by Mike » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:54:09

Quote:> It actually may be my Voodoo 3 2000 that's screwing Linux up...bunch
> of links for this videocard and Linux, but much of the info is
> old...oh well!

Voodoo3?  If you're using XFree86 4, that should be supported by the
"tdfx" driver -- it's what I use for my Banshee, and they're very
similar cards, apparantly.

This might help; it might just be wasted banwidth.  Either way, it's
there now.
--
Mike.