How to play .AU files on Soundblaster? XMosaic?

How to play .AU files on Soundblaster? XMosaic?

Post by James Keith Loss » Tue, 04 Jan 1994 03:48:36

I have installed sound support with my kernel (though have not used it
yet).  I am now working with XMosaic.  Which sound application (if any)
would be suitable for use with Mosaic under Linux?

Note:  I see on Sunsite a utility for playing .AU files on the PC speaker.
Since there is no utility that makes this claim for the sound driver, I
have to assume that i'm just overlooking something.

Thanks!
--

Huntsville, AL, 205-533-4296         Huntsville's Dial-Up Internet Gateway

How to play .AU files on Soundblaster? XMosaic?

Post by Tom J Par » Tue, 04 Jan 1994 07:45:47

Quote:> I have installed sound support with my kernel (though have not used it
> yet).  I am now working with XMosaic.  Which sound application (if any)
> would be suitable for use with Mosaic under Linux?
> Note:  I see on Sunsite a utility for playing .AU files on the PC speaker.
> Since there is no utility that makes this claim for the sound driver, I
> have to assume that i'm just overlooking something.

If you have made the sound devices (get the MAKEDEV script on sunsite) then
all you have to do is 'cat' .au files to /dev/audio and they'll play out of
the soundblaster. As easy as that.

--
Tom J Parry.
Your reality is a figment of my imagination.

Post by Andreas Fat » Tue, 04 Jan 1994 10:36:50

: Note:  I see on Sunsite a utility for playing .AU files on the PC speaker.
: Since there is no utility that makes this claim for the sound driver,
cat aufile.au > /dev/audio

Andreas

--

University of Dortmund          ..!uunet!germany.EU.net!acelab!ace (UUCP/Bang!)

1. "au-play" (plays *.au's thru speaker, no sound card needed)

I've uploaded "au-play.tar.z" to tsx-11.mit.edu where it should eventually
end up in the /pub/linux/ALPHA directory.

It plays Sun-style audio files ("*.au") through the internal speaker.
No sound-card is needed, and it won't use it even if you've got one.  <shrug>

One thing I forgot to mention in the README:

        YOU MAY HAVE TO CHANGE THE "DELAY" CONSTANT IN "au-play.c".

This code is *very* hardware-dependant, since it uses <gag> delay loops.
I have it set for my whimpy 386s/20, but it's easily changed.  Don't try to
optimize ("cc -O...") the compilation, since that would remove the delays.

Send a postcard, get one back! | Enposxtigu bildkarton kaj vi ricevos alion!
          RICK MILLER // 16203 WOODS // MUSKEGO, WIS. 53150 // USA

...and yes, the latest Linux Device List is *almost* ready to post.

--

2. Anyone for a reinstall

3. How to play .au files (reliably)

4. Please allow us to post jobs to your newsgroup

5. Soundcard play *.au and *.wav files, but not from CD rom

6. What is VT102 ?

7. any program that can play XXX.au files ?

8. DLink DFE-538TX

9. How can i play .au files?

10. Help: Playing (large) .au file results in system crache

11. How to play .au files

12. Playing .au files