lpd dies in slackware 1.1.2

Post by Sachin Patk » Wed, 06 Apr 1994 23:49:15

Hello,
        I have slackware 1.1.2 (linux 0.99.15) installed on
my PC 386. I seem to have a problem (unless I have misunderstood
it) with lp-daemon. I start it through rc.local but it dies
immediately (or after printing a spooled job). So I call
the lpd using the cron-daemon every 10 minutes. This works
but surely is not the correct way of using lpd.
I don't understand how the lock files are affected by invoking lpd,
so I have not managed to figure out why lpd dies immediately.
One more thing that I may mention is that I have not installed
the networking packages. And I do not have /etc/services on
my root partition.
        Could someone please help me understand the problem!
        Thanks in advance.

        --sachin

PS. I did read printing-howto but could not get the answer.
I have spool directories and lock files all in proper place
as described in the documents and the fact that lpd when
invoked through the crond does function.

lpd dies in slackware 1.1.2

Post by Daniel Torr » Thu, 07 Apr 1994 10:09:34

: One more thing that I may mention is that I have not installed
: the networking packages. And I do not have /etc/services on
: my root partition.

I think that you have to have the TCP/IP package installed, or lpd will
just fold up and die every time you start him...

---

Daniel A. Torrey                     "If your kids knew how lame you really
ESP Software Services                    are they'd kill you in your sleep."

linux - linux - linux - linux - linux - linux - linux - linux - linux - linux

1. Communicator dies on add-ins

I just installed Communicator 4.04.  It works well on most pages, but
dies on one particular URL.
        http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/sgt_stryker/homepage.htm

When I go back to Navigator 3, it complains about an add-in for audio/x-wav,
but otherwise proceeds nicely.

Is there a way to get Communicator 4 to act sanely?
--

2. gethostname

3. How to make a bootimage disk, like the bootdsks.144 ins slackware.

4. Simple home firewall rules

5. PC-NFS, printing, bannerpage. die.die.die

6. Looking for MPC860/MPC8260 Linux

7. Zombie die die die

8. ATI video card ????

9. /ethan die,die,die

10. lpd dies

11. lpd dies with errno 99 (EADDRNOTAVAIL)

12. lpd dies when started

13. HELP: LPD Dying