Using a laptop's external monitor port under Linux

Using a laptop's external monitor port under Linux

Post by Wim Osterho » Thu, 25 Aug 1994 19:38:30

: Greetings!
:   I have Linux running on my Compudyne 486/33 (4DX/33) Laptop
: computer. It has a port to connect an external SVGA monitor to
: that I would like to make use of. The only question is how to
: it. There is no entry in the BIOS setup menus that allow me to
: choose the external monitor versus the LCD display. The instruction
: manual / users guide that comes with it is basically useless in that
: they say "use the DOS utility VGACONF.EXE to select LCD, CRT, or
: BOTH..." Unfortunately, it does not keep the setting through a cold or
: warm boot cycle, and when I run Linux, it will only display on the LCD.

: If its any help the VGA BIOS says "Cirrus Logic CL-GD6410 version 2.03"

: Suggestions?

My laptop with this Cirrus Logic chipset uses an external command to switch

the video output from LCD to external. If I remember correctly the name was
SWITCHER.COM.
Don't know how to handle this under Linux.
If you can program it yourself you should take a look at Ralf Brown's Interrupt
list, which contains some info about it.

Wim.

1. Using a laptop's external monitor port under Linux

[some deleted]
[some deleted]

Is there no function-key equivalent? I use a NEC Versa which operates
on a similar principle. There is a dos command to activate the correct
BIOS calls, but it is also hard-coded into a function call, Fn-F3.

Other than that, I'm as clueless as you. I'd been wanting to implement
the code for that function into a program, but since it is BIOS, I
don't think it's possible.

--
||"I slept with Faith, and found a corpse  ||  -=/> Raun D. Nohavitza </=-  ||
|| in my arms on awaking; I drank and      ||       irc:   KromeKing        ||

|| her a virgin in the morning."-A. Crowley||       G.C.v2.1 follows:       ||
GCS d-(---) H s:- g+ !p au++ a21 w+ v+(*) C++ UL++++ P++++ L+++ 3 E N+ K++ W--
  M- V-- po--- Y+ t+ 5 j- R- G' tv b+ D++ B--- e+ u-(*) h-(*) f+ r++ !n y+(*)

2. How to redirect stdin/out for child process

3. Using external monitors on laptops

4. 4.1.1 sees IBM 20Gb IDE disk geometry wrong.

5. Laptop:displaying X using external monitor

6. SLIP/DIP almost working but routing seems to be a problem

7. Simultaneous display on laptop's external monitor and internal LCD

8. Linux on external monitor attached to a laptop

9. External monitor to display linux on laptop

10. Help w/ external monitor to display Linux on Laptop

11. Using external mouse on a Linux laptop

12. using Linux with external screen for a laptop