help on lpd and news??

Post by yue-herng li » Wed, 15 Sep 1993 17:00:38

Hi all,
I'm just a novice on Linux and lack any experience on administrating Unix.
So here're my questions:
(1). I can make printer printing in rough way (i.e.: cat file > /dev/lp1).
     I know this is not a good solution. I tried using lpr and start lpd
     in the boot time. However, lpc tell me the daemon is not started. Is
     there any way I can get it to work?
(2). I'd really like to be able to read news on my linux box. Yet I cannot
     set it up. Can someone give me some suggestion? Well, I tried using
     mthreads as daemon without luck. What things I need to configure?
Oh, I'm using SLS1.03 and my printer is HPIIP.
Thanks for any help,
YH